Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little tweak on BB ribs, worked out nicely

Options
BigGreenDawg
BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fall09Winter10167.jpg
Before the sauce; sorry but after the sauce these babies were gone in a BIG hurry.

About a month ago I was talking with a guy about BBQ who has a pit he operates on the weekends as well as for catered functions in the Nashville area. Well of course I start bragging about my egg and how much I love making ribs on it and we start sharing recipes and cooking methods. A few of the things he suggested I haven't tried yet but this one I did. He said by removing the membrane you are gonna' lose allot of moisture hence the reason behind spritzing w/ apple juice/apple cider vinegar. He suggested not removing it and not spritzing one time to see how it turns out and I must say I really like the end result, the tips were as nice as the centers and I liked the texture a little more as I was able to get just a little more black on the tips.

I always do indirect at 250 dome w/ mustard and 1/2 DP 1/2 Sugar In The Raw then finish with sauce last 1/2 hour. They cooked for just shy of 5 hours and were my best yet. Next time I will finally try some cherry to go along w/ my hickory.

I know this flies in the face of what most recommend here as well as how I have been doing it for years but anyone else try it?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've seen a few pros do BB's with the membrane on as of late. It might be a trend.
  • popedaddy
    popedaddy Posts: 51
    Options
    I have seen a lot of the comp guys doing it and like I tell my buddies, do it the way you like it. It doesn't matter how you get there just as you like the result.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    I am a simpler IS better kinda' guy if the results are equal or better so I plan on repeating this again w/ future cooks especially by saving that extra prep time and the extra step of spritzing. His other tip was marinating them in Louisiana hot sauce(heated up w/ butter) then apply garlic powder which if I wasn't running out of time in the day today I would have tried.