Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how long can butt rest in cooler

Options
Lastcast
Lastcast Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first butt last night and was a little too anxious. Started it at 4:00 and was done this morning at 7:00. I wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler and wondered how long I can safely leave it in there. Idealy, I was hoping to serve at around 4:00 today.

Thanks, Scott

Comments

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Lastcast,I did one a few weeks ago and left it in the cooler for 4 hours. It was still hot after that.
    But I really don,t know how long it can stay in the cooler.[p]AZ Geoff[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Lastcast,
    Depends on several factors; thermal efficiency of cooler, mass of meat, outside temp (diferential temps).[p]A thick walled foam job (like omaha steaks shipping containers) will retain good delta temps 4-6 hrs. Hard plastic jobs (with foam between inner & outer, won't be as good), will be better than the ones with air as insulater between.[p]A keep warm temp of 150-170 would be best for such a long haul time span (on your egg or in an oven), Properly wrapped of course.

• Lastcast
    Lastcast Posts: 4
    Options
    HML,

Right now its in one of the thick foam cooler. I think I will leave it there for a few hours, then transfer it to a warm oven. I just didn't want to dry it out, but I guess if it's wraped tight enough it shouldn't.

Thanks, Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Lastcast,
    too late to answer now but in the future do what I do...after wrapping in foil wrap tightly with several old towels and place in a good tight cooler making sure there is no air space. I've kept a butt that way for 6 hours once and it could have gone longer I'm sure.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I usually put crumpled up newspaper around the foil wrapped meat. Don't know if it helps retain the temp but it seems to work for me.[p]Toy Man

• Unknown
    Options
    Toy Man,
    Rolled up in the paper is a good idea, it does make a good insulation addition. I use that method also for transporting cold champane..

• Unknown
    Options
    Lastcast,
    Got this tip from Alton Brown show. Put hot water in cooler first to warm it up. Then pour out the water over a towel. Wrap in foil and then warm towel. Stays warm that way quit awhile.[p]Roy