Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally - Ribs to be proud of!

Options
Joel
Joel Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After many attempts at honing in on respectable ribs, I finally found what works for me:

- Seasoned using a commercial rub (Famous Dave's Rib Rub)
- Cooked at ~225 for 4.5 hours with a drip pan filled with apple juice
- Spritzed ribs with apple juice every hour
- Used the 90 degree test to determine when it's done (Pick up ribs - should bend 90 degrees - anything less should be cooked longer)
- Applied bbq sauce and cooked for another 20 minutes at 275

Prior to this point, I was cooking them via the 3-2-1 method but they always seemed overcooked. This method is quite a bit more straight forward and easier to manage.

Special thanks to Car Wash Mike and his excellent page - http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html.

Seasoned with liberal coating of Famous Dave's Rib Rub.
799906032_RZik9-L.jpg

Indirect at ~225 for 4.5 hours
799906186_Eqw7V-L.jpg

After ~3 hours. Applying apple juice spritzing
799906437_D2TU6-L.jpg

Getting ready to apply the bbq sauce. I used two varieties: Famous Dave's Sweet and Zesty and Famous Dave's Sweet and Zesty with Tabasco sauce to give it a little kick. Each rack received a different sauce.
799906546_4ERiE-L.jpg

Back on for another 20 minutes at 275
799906645_MKZo4-L.jpg

Finished product
799906864_k2Mos-L.jpg

Side view (I know - I need some decent knives. :))
799906922_i2VpC-L.jpg

Comments

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    Hey wait a minute! I know you have my phone number so I could have helped out with a taste testing. :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great job...those look good enough to eat... :);)
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    those look great :woohoo: can't go wrong with ribs
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    So what do ya think . . . yours or Famous Dave's? :evil: :whistle:

That place here in KS got me hooked on ribs and good Q and lead me to the BGE.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Those look great. That's one cook I still need to master, but I am optimistic because soon after my 2nd go at ribs I realized my BGE thermometer was 25+ degrees off which I think was causing my issues.

VERY NICE!
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    Options
    Joel, they look awesome...and you're right...you can't miss with CWM's recipe ;)
  • Joel
    Options
    My wife had a vicious craving for some spicy ribs that I attempted to accommodate with bbq sauce + Tabasco. The spicier sauce tasted to much like Tabasco rather than the hotter bbq sauce I was attempting to concoct. I think I'll just look for a warmer bbq sauce next time. :cheer:

-Joel
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Famous Dave's Devil Spit maybe?

My daughter likes it, me not so much.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a good rub yet. Where do you get this famous Dave's rub? I also am looking for one that has a little kick to it. I do not like Tabasco at all. No flavor to it.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Can't find a online sources as I can get it locally.
    Might give this a try:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Rib-Rub-Copycat-Famous-Daves-110815

Can't vouch for this tho . . .

If ya really get stuck, shoot me an email.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    I missed the obvious place:

http://www.famousbbq.com/bbqshop.html
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Thank you, I will start with ordering a jar to try it first. Then when I have time I will research how to make my own rub and sauce.
  • Joel
    Options
    I happened to find it by the meat counter at the local grocery store. Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of Famous Dave's restaurants but I really like their rubs and sauces.
  • Joel
    Options
    Sounds good - I'll try it out. Any particular reason you don't care for it?

-Joel
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Joel. Your ribs look great. You have been well taught. I am not a rib fan (ask CWM-he knows this!)but I would happily eat yours with a knife and fork!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Joel
    Options
    If CWM can't do it, I have dim hopes of converting you either. :)

-Joel
  • loco_engr
    Options
    I think in my advanced years :whistle: I am leaning towards a sauce that doesn't bite.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Very nice Joel, FGG does not eat ribs with bones.
    Those look great.

Mike
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Yum You should be Proud