Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burnt nomex

Options
eggfan
eggfan Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just installed a new nomex gasket about 3 months ago. Today i did a cleaning burn that never got above 900 degrees. When i raised my dome my nomex was burnt on the outer edge by the back of the dome. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just more of my bad luck. Thanks.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it sounds like you did not get your dome placed on the base right.. try the dollar bill test and you might see where the misallingment is.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• LA6798
    Options
    I worked in a heat treating facility for 25 years we tempered metals at less than that! LOL Really at 900 degrees you can't ask for much better. Mine (felt) burnt out in one month.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    ON Gasket
    it probably got burnt cause 1 tremendous heat,
    yes nomex is more fire resistant than original gasket,
    but will still burn under tremendous heat, plus the
    gaskets around the BGE I don't think are perfect mates
    when closed. So a little portion of that gasket is exposed to that heat, I do mostly lower heat stuff and even parts of my nomex show more wear, darker etc than
    other parts of it. I have heard good things about rutland gaskets, and also Cotronics corp has very
    fire resistant gaskets, but are expensive.
    Maybe next time slightly cover top so your burn stays
    at say 650 over 800 is unbelievably Hot
    good luck Bullyc
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    How did you measure the temp @ 900? Tel True says dont run their therm over 800 except for a brief while and the BGE therm tops at 750. Just curious.