Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

walnut smoke

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever use walnut for smoking? I have never heard of it for smoking. However, my wood chart lists it. The thing that intrigued me is that for all of the other woods it only lists as "strong" or "mild." However, for walnut it lists "very strong." I am not sure I need anything stronger than hickory or mesquite but am curious. I have keep an inventory of about a dozen wood chips/chunks. Of course, I have never seen it in any stores.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Walnut is kind of oily, it's nice for carving but maybe not for smokin. Never tried it though.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    don't know anyone that has used it but when this question comes up the answer is usually " i heard it was not good " my thought are that oils, dried sap etc would be somewhat make an acrid smoke, ,
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There have been other threads on this subject. Could've been somewhere else though. The upshot was, not a very good smoking wood.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interesting about the acrid comment. When you cut walnut, the sawdust has a very distinct odor. Not bad, as sawdust goes, but very different.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like it is worth searching for. However, if I stumble upon it I am sure I will try it - Definitely on something inexpensive like burgers.

Freddie
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    I use Walnut and it is ok. I live in the middle of 1000's of square miles of Walnut and Pear orchards, so it is readily available. It is important to remember that what you want to use for smoking is ENGLISH Walnut and not BLACK Walnut which is mainly used for furniture and craftwork.

The growers here in Norcal use the Black Walnut root stock to graft the English shoots onto as the BW is resistant to fungus and viruses and bugs. Another thing that is prevalent here is Grapevine and Grape wood
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    One thought that came to mind - I think black walnut sawdust is toxic; I do know you can't use walnut shavings for horse bedding and DH is very careful with it in his shop. Not sure about the smoke, though...
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    Options
    I have smoked with walnut and I would recommend it, primarily for poultry. Had a very nice distinctive flavor, in a good way!