Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook, no smoky flavor

Options
CJATE
CJATE Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do a lot of out door cooking and this thing is fantastic, I’m excited to have added it to my arsenal.

For it’s maiden voyage, I loaded up the bottom with lump coal, lit it, opened all the vents to full blast, and grilled a couple of steaks. They were good, but not perfect, however I did not expect them to be, I was however impressed with the efficiency of this thing, and look forward to learning the adjusted cook times… it was around 650 for that cook.

I then choked down the air flow; dropped in 2 hands full’s of wet wood chips, the plate setter and put on a chicken and rack of ribs prepared the way I normally would. 5 hr latter at 250 (and only a few vent adjustments) I was done. The chicken was a touch over done but not dry and the ribs were perfect.

However there was no Smokey flavor, it was as if I had cooked them in the oven.

I assume that my mistake was grilling prior to smoking? That my wood chips went up in no time and offered little flavor.

Should I have used more chips?
Am I to add chips ever hr or so for the first few hrs?
Should I use chunks not chips?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    CJATE,

Yes the chips probably burned before the temp came down. I believe most here use chunks and for long smokes mix the chunks in the lump. You can really overpower with the smoke in the egg.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i use no more than 2-3 fist sized chunks... chips just burn right up.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I use both chips and chunks and have never had a problem with either. However, I don't add chips until right before I put the meat on. I never add during the cook. If you spread the chips throughout the lump it will smoke longer. But it doesn't have to smoke the whole time. I believe the meat generally absorbs the most smoke when it is still a low temp.

Also, you may prefer a stronger flavor of wood. Here is a list off the top of my head from strong to mild.

hickory or mesquite - steaks, burgers, briskets

pecan - chicken or turkey

Jack Daniels barrel chips - prime rib

alder - fish

apple - often mix in with pecan for poultry

cherry - pizzas, breads

maple - desserts

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I use chips if the cook will be a short grilling exercise. Several chunks are always used for low-n-slow cooks. Neither type is ever soaked prior to using. Both go on right before the food.