Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Gasket - Questions

Options
Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's been lots of posts on replacing gaskets since I joined the forum, but need a Gasket 101.

--What type of gasket to purchase for large? I've noticed folks trying different ones.

--Any tips on installation?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• MA egger
    Options
    My standard gasket burned out after three cooks, so I emailed BGE and they sent me a free nomex (the white one). I followed Fred's directions on youtube (search for replacing nomex gasket on big green egg) and it took me an hour at most. The acetone really did the trick in getting the gunk off.

I actually got a better dollar bill test result after replacing the gasket, maybe I was just more informed about assembling the egg, and I haven't had any problems since then.

JPY
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I've had my egg since December. I've done numerous cooks from low 'n slow to hot 'n fast. My gasket is shot. I was very surprised at how quickly it fell apart. My dealer gave me a new felt one but I wonder what is the point when the first one crapped out so early. Lot's of posts on here by folks that go without them and seem to do okay. :S
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Di, Like some others here my felt gasket went bad in no time and I replaced it myself with another felt then in 6 months time I was calling the mother ship and they sent me this nomex gasket. I followed the directions from fredsmusicandbbq and so far the nomex has been staying adhered and is lasting just fine. If you and your hubby can get together and do this I think you will have a winner. I also think you can do without because my second egg has a burned up felt but it don't have anything to do with my cooks. So, maybe wait till spring and plan your strategy out. Then go for it. Unless your in the south or west where the weather is not so cool. Just my thoughts. Tim
  • Di
    Options
    Tim - thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of waiting until Spring, even though we live in Texas it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for warmer weather. Thankfully my hubby is very handy, so I'm sure if we watch the videos he will be able to handle the installation. So far, I haven't found anything he couldn't do with the exception of drywall, but that's a story for another day! :lol:
  • Di
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about the Nomex gasket. I knew folks had mentioned one besides the regular felt, but couldn't remember what it was called. The videos will be a big help too.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Di, There are others here that use another type of gasket that works very well besides the nomex and they only apply it to the base. Maybe they will chime in. :) Tim
  • tjl5709
    Options
    Go to Nakid Wiz's site and look at the info on the rutland.

I put it on my LBGE. Have done many high temp cooks w/o issue.

Purchased a small a couple weeks ago, and the bottom gasket came off after 4 cooks. Ordered another rutland for it. Just need the time to put it on. Got it from the book site.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Di - It's really not too difficult. Here is a piece my husband put together on his web page. Just arrow down a bit....

http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php

BTW...Although they are expensive, I highly recommend the cotronix gaskets. They have been bullet proof for use for years, including 1000*+ clean burns.

Wish you the best!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    How is he Cotronex gasket different than the Nomex? I got my Nomex in a BGE plastic bag as well. I put mine on in the freezing cold and let it slip off in the back. In fact, I think the dome is misaligned and needs to be reset. I am thinking of doing that and replacing the gasket at the same time. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I need to replace my gasket too. Is it really necessary to take off the dome to replace? I'm afraid of messing things up if I do it.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hungry....Please send an email to bubba@bubbatim.com for the reasons on the cotronix. All I can vouch for is the amount of research he does, and seems to always make the best choice. Don't hesitate to send him an email to ask his logic. Thanks!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I didn't take mine off and wished I had. Then again, I may have had an offset alignment issue from the dealer anyway. I am going to take mine off, replace the gasket and then reset the dome to square. I am going to have my brother-in-law help me so I am sure it is done right. I suggest taking it off because the dome is hard to clean the rim while it is up in the air.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Thanks will do!
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i just finished a gasket job on my craigslist rescue egg. It was an older egg and the gasket was pretty shot when i got it. It finally gave out on me after a clean/burnout.

I was at Fred's for his bread seminar, wandered away from the seminar and bought a bunch of lump and a gasket. I followed his videos to the letter (except I put the super77 on both the gasket AND the egg), and so far the nomex has been incredibly durable.

Fred himself told me that the nomex gasket WILL BURN, so dont go hog wild with the temps, but only at 700degrees direct heat, where the felt melts and burns as little as 200degrees direct heat.

I'm getting longer burn times on my charcoal because it's sealed better.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I put the super77 on both the gasket AND the
    egg as well and so far the nomex has been incredibly durable for me also. Tim :)