Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3.5 lb Tenderloin Question

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna Egg this puppy in the AM. Can someone give me an idea of cook time and cook temp for this?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I got some good advice from LC earlier:

"First, I suggest 400* direct for sear, then raise the grid and finish it as a roast."

"I would plan an hour from first putting on egg to plate, which includes a good rest time."

Thats what I'm doing. Posts to follow.

Doug
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    You didn't say pork or beef.

However, for me, they're about the same. I cook them at 350° for about an hour to get an IT of 135. FTC for an hour should bring them up to the mid 140's.

Edit: After reading Doug's post, I'll revise mine.

I cook mine indirect at 350° for an hour, and then rest. Doug cooks his at 400°, and his hour includes rest time. Probably the same amount of heat. I don't sear mine, but get a nice crust anyway. Not saying which is better ........

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    If it's 3.5 lbs it's beef or not tenderloin.

Doug
  • Harris Buck
    Options
    My bad. It is beef tenderloin. I really appreciate the advice from both.

Do you guys foil it to rest or does it matter?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I cook them indirect at 350-400 til 125 internal.Rest 10 mins,slice,serve.If I did want a sear,I would pull at 115 internal and do a sear at the end of the cook.The only way to screw up a beef tenderloin is to OVERCOOK it.As far as the time,I would think an hour should be plenty time to cook and rest. :)
  • you can also sear first then choke temps back and roast it. that way, it's a little harder to overshoot your desired temp since the high heat is handled at the beginning

i actually like a good pan sear. then a little roasting to finish

pansear.jpg

a little blue cheese sauce is good too