Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

goo

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whenever my brother-in-law cooks on his LBGE there is a blaack goo that comes from around (under?)the metal daisy wheel. I never get the stuff. Anyone know what gives :(

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I get it too, some times. I just assumed everyone does. Might be interesting to compare your egging habits and see if you can identify why yours doesn't, but his does.

Do you both cover your eggs? Do you cook more frequently than him? Primarily low/slow vs. hot/fast cooks? Do both of you store your daisy wheel inside your egg? Do you put it in there when the egg is hot, or wait until it cools? Different brands of lump? Does one of you use wood chunks more often than the other?

I don't cover my egg, and I think I notice the black stuff more often after a rain. Haven't paid that much attention, really. It wipes off easily.
  • tell him to store his daisy in the egg and it will drip all that stuff off from the latent heat, as the egg cools
  • golffer
    Options
    Will try that. What is it. It appears when we cook ribs, burgers, Boston Butts, whatever. ANd it literally runs down the outside of the egg. I probably use mine 5x as much and never had any.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's what it is, golffer. I think that when an egg picks up internal moisture, due to rain or disuse, as the egg heats, and the daisy wheel remains cold, the steam from inside the egg condenses on the cold daisy wheel, and then runs down the outside of the egg. It carries with it the smoke from the burning lump, which is always worse at the beginning of a cook as well.
  • golffer
    Options
    Makes some sense as he probably cooks maybe once every two to three weeks.
  • it's just soot and fat.
  • danothemano
    Options
    Is it a problem to put the ceramic cover on and the daisy wheel in the egg when the weather is cold? I've been afraid to put the ceramic cover on after a cook in cold weather. Didn't want it to crack.
  • ?
    there's no cold weather issue with the egg at all.

have no fear
  • danothemano
    Options
    I haven't had any issues using the egg itself or the platesetter in the cold weather. I didn't know if I could use the ceramic top at the end of a 500 degree cook without it cracking. If I understand you correctly, it should be perfectly fine to end a high temp cook with the cold ceramic top without issue.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I do it all the time. It doesn't bother the cap at all. I realize the thermal shock from where I am to where you are might be a little different, but it still won't bother the cap.

The only thing the cap doesn't like is to be dropped from about 7 feet. I had mine sitting on top of the corner post in my cook shack and reached up to get it in the dark. Next thing I know it's on the ground in two pieces. A little red RTV and it's back together again. Been that way working on two years, and still holds together to snuff out a 650 pizza fire.