Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"Malis" brand Lump

BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
edited 3:22PM in EggHead Forum
Anyone familiar with Malis Hardwood Lump Charcoal?
·

Comments

• Check Naked Whiz's site

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag71.htm

Sounds like short burn with alot of ash.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i bought a bag from one of the people who run the resturant at my wednesday auction. it was some pretty good stuff. he changed and now doesn't get malis anymore.. if i could find it i would use it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • We've been selling Mali's here at the store for over a year. I couldn't buy other brands cost effectively. My customers have been happy with it.

I have personally burned a few dozen bags. It seems to burn a bit hotter than Royal Oak and is sometimes a little sparky.

There were very few foreign objects (rocks) in my use. I was very impressed with the large size of pieces.

Overall, I am happy that we switched.

Tom
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Ah, it is Mali's, thanks. Looks like the USA made which I am looking at has low ash production and long burn time.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag76.htm
    ·
  • assuming you meant mali... i am the one who sent in the argentina and have not tried the american,,,
    i did not like it and unlike the whiz , i did not pick out the hunk of plastic before i lit the egg, ,the smell of burnt plastic was strong enoung to cause the neigbor to comment on the smell..
    disclaimer i am not a fan of south american lump
    bill
    ·
    Terry, there is a Restaurant Service Co in the Atlanta area that carries it in 20 & 40lb bags. I'm working on getting some pricing from the Rep. Maybe we can get a group together for a power buy and save some cash.
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    keep me in the loop i am interested ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    I'd be in on that.
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Me three!
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Me 4..... ;)
    ·
    Schweet.
    ·
  • Me 5
    ·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    The stuff made in the US is great.In the Mid Atlantic area it runs $8.50 per twenty pound bag.Best at both ends of the scale low ash and high burn time.
    ·
  • ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
    I am as well!!
    ·
  • keep me in the loop, i am interested, too
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I am in on that as well Ron. Is that the same brand that Super H carries?
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
    I have never noticed it there Doug. Maybe I will go check it out since around the corner from me.
    ·
  • It's hard to find good lump here in Augusta for a half way decent price. I would gladly drive to Atlanta for quality stuff if you are still looking for a pool of buyers.
    ·
  • JBJB Posts: 510
    It's great, I've used it a lot. Outdoor Kitchen Store in Tampa used to carry it and BGE lump. Tried it at first because it was several dollars cheaper than BGE, but I actually liked it better. Last couple of times I went there they were out though. Good stuff.
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I have used it. Good lump and priced better than the other stuff.
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    We have it in Tampa. My out prime meat hookup uses it in a high end restaurant.
    ·
  • Hey Ron. I've been AWOL for a bit but wanted to chime-in on the Malis lump. I just got back from Wilkes Meat Market in Cumming. I went there to stock my freezer by buying Black Angus CAB strips for %5.99#. Not a bad deal and great steaks. :laugh:
    Anyway, while they were cutting it up for me I noticed they had the bags- guessing 20#'s- for $14.99 a bag. Not sure if that is a good price for that or if the pallet deal might get us a better deal but thought you might want to know.
    ·