Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Adjustment?

Options
Smokin' Padre
Smokin' Padre Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The temp stabalized for an hour and placesetter and ribs went on. Temp dropped. Do I need to reopen the vents to get back temp up or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Just leave it alone and it will come back to where you had it.
  • Smokin' Padre
    Options
    Thanks ~ the ribs have been on 45 minutes and, although the temp is slowly climbing, I was getting a bit nervous.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thats one of the the beauties of the egg. A stabilized temp will get back to temp if no settings change no matter what thermal mass you put in there.

Once you get to know your egg you can overshoot temp a bit before putting meat or the platesetter in then set the egg to the temperature you want. With practice it will dial in perfectly.

How you have it working this cook is great. you'll get a good smoke ring.

Doug
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Anytime you put cold meat into a warm cooker the temp is going to fall some due to the cold mass that has been introduced to the environment. Also, some heat has left due to opening the lid. It's best to leave the temp setting a is in a good cooker like the bge, otherwise you could be chasing the temp for the duration of the cook. Enjoy!!
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    You might want to put the plate setter in earlier so it will also heat up while stabilizing the temp.

Adding cold meat and a cold plate setter at the same time gives it more of a 'thermal shock' to recover from.
  • Dan in StL
    Options
    One other thing you might have going on is small lump or ash shifting and blocking air flow. Nothing a 'wiggle stick' won't fix.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Grillin' Padre, Like Doug said you will probably get a good smoke ring smoking your ribs like that. I would say you will get more smoke flavor doing it the way you are doing it. I normally would let my plate setter stabilize with my egg then put the meat on. I'm sure they will turn out great! Tim ;)
  • Smokin' Padre
    Options
    Thanks! ~ I sure hope so! They are in the last stages of foiling (sometimes I have, sometimes I haven't, my wife likes fall off the bone, and right now I'm living to make her happy!) before I put on some good ol' Salt Lick BBQ Sauce. I'm looking forward to taking pictures of this first cook and posting it! :)