Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker wireless setup

Options
Rhino
Rhino Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my stoker yesterday in the mail and went out and bought a Cisco wireless bridge. I did a 5 hour cook today, using stokerlog, and was not able to hold a wireless connection. It would connect, then lose the web page after 5 or 10 minutes. It would not be able to reconnect and said webpage was not accessible. I would reset the whole system and sometimes it was able to establish a connection to the webpage and other times not. The wireless bridge and stoker are about 40 feet from my verizon fios router.

Is that too far of a distance or is the bridge not working properly. What setups does everyone else have and what type of bridge are you using?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am using a Linksys (cisco)with a DD-WRT firmware burn. Works fantastic and great range.

Is it possible your system is going into sleep mode causing a lost connection. My notebook would go into sleep and I would loose the connection from my LAN (Stoker was hard wired at that time).

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    What is a WW-WRT firmware burn? Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm really eyeballing these posts now that I know I'm getting mine this week. Not really sure what hardware I'm going to get yet to establish a solid connection to my network. Seems there are a few options to choose from. My rib roast is at 96 degrees right now at a pit temp. of 340. Lots of hungry women here breathing down my neck!!! I'm wanting to do an end of cook sear so I'm planning on letting the temp loose to 500 at about 115-118 degrees. Sound about right for medium-rare-ish? It's my first end of cook sear.
  • Rhino
    Rhino Posts: 39
    Options
    No, it wasn't going into sleep mode. I was at the laptop playing around with it when it would lose connection. What is WW-WRT firmware, where do I get it and how do I install it?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oops, my type error. DD-WRT.

If you want some details let me know and I will go further into it. Great firmware update though.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=811167&catid=1

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My type error above, now corrected.

Cisco and other router manafactures used a open system of software/firmware to control the routers.

DD-WRT (and another is Tomato) is a group that enhanced the open software to make a $60 router function like a $600 router - many options to include increasing transmission output power via software control. Using the open system software (firmware upgrade) the router can be set up as a bridge, client bridge, Access Point and many other bridge type functions.

One locates the correct update within DD-WRT (or Tomato). There are several ways to accomplish the update.

Doing it wrong can 'brick' the router, that is make the router completely useless. That fact made me hesitant to perform the update. However, the Stoker talk of late and other uses I want to use a second router for got me back to the point where I wanted wireless connection to my LAN.

I decided to go ahead and here is what I did. I decided to use the DD-WRT rather than Tomato (no reason in particular). I located the correct software (firmware) to use for the update and downloaded the DD-WRT for my router.

I logged into the router and went to firmware update. Followed the instructions. The update took about 1 to 2 minutes and it was all done.

I selected the correct options and the second router was bridged to my main router servicing my LAN here at home.

The end result is I take the router outside with the Stoker. Plug in the router, connect a short ethernet cable from the Stoker to the Router. Turn on the Stoker. The main router via the second router (directly connected to the stoker)assigns an IP address to the stoker. I input that IP address in a browser and the stoker talking with the browser and available on any of the systems at home.

It takes no time at all (1 to 3 minutes) to plug in the router and stoker and read the IP address.

Put the meat on the egg, place the probes and close the dome. Back in the house double check or change the settings as needed and off.

I haven't had the need to do this but to use twitter, emails data capable phones or any other hand held wireless type device all I need to do is open a port on the main router and then monitoring and control can be done from any device or anywhere.

I have a few very cheap routers that are supposed to be able to use DD-WRT. If I have time this next week I will try and change the firmware on those. If any or all of those work then getting an wireless connection could be as cheap as $10 to $20.

GG
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    That sounds good to me. I did my first rib roast this weekend....I pulled it at 140 (no reverse sear) but after a 20 minute rest, it was closer to well.