Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tighten the bolts? Align the lid?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hum? I just read another post where the poster said to tighten the bolts after a few cooks because they may be loose. I noticed that my lid did not exactly line up with the base when I had to replace my gasket. However, I have no escape of heat (smoke), it all seems to works just fine. Should I tinker with it to get the lid to fit just right? Should I just tighten the bolts and keep on cooking? My Mr. Fixit skills usually follow the plan of break it, really screw it up and then take a long time to get it fixed correctly. My wife lovingly calls me Tim the Toolman Taylor. Should I really take a wrench to my LBGE? Replacing the gasket was traumatizing enough.

Now if I could just fry oysters on my LBGE...

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have never found a project that not require some new tool. My moto is if I can do a project that requires new or more tools, then go for it.

Do a dollar bill test on your egg. If the seal is good then just snug up the bolts - don't break them. The band bolts should be tightened to where the bolts bend.

GG
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    GG, you and I are kindred spirits. The wife just shakes her head now when I come home with a new tool. She always wants to know what I need it for. Well, do make my table, I used my new miter saw, jigsaw, screw gun, drill, and speed square. Ha, that showed her.

As to frying oysters on the BGE, frying is the one thing that the BGE may not be up to. However, if you have never had grilled in the shell oysters, you should try them. Just toss them on the grill until they open - a couple minutes tops. Pry them the rest of the way open, throw on some cocktail sauce, horseradish, lemon, tobasco, or whatever else you like. Slurp and enjoy. Mmmmm. ;)
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Well, just went outside to get my bge dome thermometer to test it. Darn it, the gasket on the bottom is pulled off and inside the egg! The top must be rubbing it and pushing it in. I am going to have to reglue it. I need to look at how to get the lid to raise up and sit over on top of the gasket, not just push it in. Heck, may be time to buy that new lawn trailer and take it back to the dealer that assembled it. They could adjust it.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    How about steamed oysters? Indirect, about 400 degrees, cover with a wet burlap bag? My brother and sister in law would be right over...
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    GG is eggactly correct. Test with $$ bill. If it is snug all around - leave it alone.

After a few months of gasket testing cooks, I began to develop slight smoke escape in the rear. I loosened both bands and got the gap closed enough to pass the $$ bill test again. This occurred every 6 months until now (4 years later) there is only a slight coloration where the gasket used to be. I'm fortunate that my top and bottom seem to fit perfectly together. I truly believe that keeping the alignment gap tight will prolong the life of your gasket.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    any suggestions on how to get the lid to align more forward? which bolts?
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    When you look at the top band - is it touching the top of the groove all the way around?
    When you look at the bottom band - is it touching the bottom of the groove all the way around?

For my LBGE, that is where they are and the open/close seems to work eggactly right (think of how the pivot point is behind and must let the two come together.)
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    okay, will go look
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you have a large or smaller then close the dome and look at the front to back and side to side alignment of the dome and base.

The bands can be torqued when off of the egg and that will sometimes cause a left/right or front/back misalignment with the dome to base.

Pushing the dome with the bands on will only put pressure on the hinge assembly and usually won't correct that problem - I wouldn't recommend trying to push a dome back into alignment. Rather, if the dome is really off, remove the bands and hinge assembly. Set the bands on a flat surface. If the band is twisted, not sitting flat on the surface, slightly twist one or both bands to get it setting flat.

If needed put the bands on the hinge and have 2 people lift the band assembly on the the base of the egg. Hinge in closed position, put the dome on the egg, through the upper band. Make sure the dome is aligned with the base. If the dome or base is out of shape then you may need to talk with the dealer. However, they should match.

Just snug the lower band bolt and upper band bolt. Make sure both bands are as close to the molded 'band stop' as it can be. Tighten the bolts about half way tight, recheck the bottoming of the bands to the ridge in the base and the ridge in the dome.

Tighten again where the bands are very tight, the bands should have not slipped up or down. If the bands are still bottomed and the bands are very tight you could do the dollar bill test.

A loose pull or no resistance pull is bad. A snug or feel like the paper/bill is going to tear is good. Don't expect the pull to be the same all the way around the egg.

If your egg passes the dollar bill test then finish tightening the band bolts to the 'bolt bend' point.

If you don't have an XL I would think the adhesive gave way and the pull was from adhesive failure of the adhesive oozing through to the other gasket, hence the pull off and or movement of the gasket.

It is possible you have a bad gasket and it needs replacing under warranty.

Now, for the trailer, get it anyway. You will need it for the old gasket or if the surface is flat enough then use that to test the possible torque in the bands.

GG
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Are you keeping your egg inside and working on the gasket in a heated area?

I read on 3m that the recommended temp for glue is 60 to 80 degrees. I have decided to wait till spring to replace mine.

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Wow! Thanks! Will go buy the trailer this weekend. Will explain to my wife that I needed it to get my dome alignment correct. I am sure she will be thrilled (see previous post regarding her being Chief Person in Charge of Telling Me When I Do Stupid Stuff). She will write it off as just another example and I will have my new trailer! Great idea!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I saw that post, I got a good laugh.

Kent
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Naw, I did it in 30 degree weather outside. I am going to try some high temp automotive adhesive (head gasket adhesive. I am not going to sweat to much right now. I just want to cook and eat. If this contractor paints any slower the paint will dry on the brush before he gets it on the wall! :sick: :P cooking in the dark again!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the bands seem to relax or stretch out during the first few months of cooks, you will want to check on them every few weeks for a few months then check them about twice a year. it gets real noticable if you do alot of high temp cooks, loose enough you could drop the dome out. when tightening, also tighten the spring bolts, they will loosen and sag over time causing the dome not to stay open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    wow this is all good stuff! The BGE is a high tech machine and does need some maintenance obviously. Regular maintenance will keep it running at peak performance. And will keep me from doing other chores I don't want to do. ;)
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Hungry in Lilburn wrote:
    wow this is all good stuff! The BGE is a high tech machine and does need some maintenance obviously. Regular maintenance will keep it running at peak performance. And will keep me from doing other chores I don't want to do. ;)

That's what we like to hear. ;)