Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate ?

Options
mnwalleye
mnwalleye Posts: 226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wondering what benefits the cast iron grate gives you? And from some of the posts I have read it seems like they crack and break is this a common problem?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    The only benefit for me and my Medium is that it adds the "WOW" factor to a good looking steak...beautiful char marks! Otherwise it's useless. I use mine all the time, and it hasn't cracked yet.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    They do tend to crack, and are easily broken if dropped, but man does it get hot for great sear marks! One side flat... great for smaller foods and veggies (cause they don't fall through the smaller cracks) and one side v shaped for a good deep steak sear. Havent used my porcelin grate for a while... but my CI is cracked. Probably would never miss it if you didnt have one, but you wont go back if you do! ;)
  • AIM BBQ
    AIM BBQ Posts: 25
    Options
    I have the CI grate in my large and have never used the stock grate that came with my egg. I have always cooked with CI grates in gas and other charcoal grills, just a prefernce. As mentioned they do retain heat and leave awesome sear marks.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    The cast iron grill just stays really hot once it gets heated up. Plus, you can get some really great grill marks for the food:

IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg

I even got one for my SBGE:
    IMG_4321.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) holds the heat well, too, but who needs that, right?
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) another CI love story!! They are super tools :woohoo:
    Think I've seen a crack at the edge of my medium CI, but only inbetween hot and super hot :blink:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bought the CI with the egg and have yet to use the stock grid. Bought it in August '09 and have had two replaced due to cracking on the first or second cook. Haven't used the third one yet since the broken ones are still usable. I won't be surprised if the unused one cracks when I DO use it. BGE tells me they are not aware of any chronic problem with grids breaking. In any case, hey will give me another if I decide to bother.

Does it make the food taste better? Can't see how it would. Does it make the food LOOK better? Yup. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Does it make the food taste better? Can't see how it would

I think it helps with searing at a lower dome temp, so can heat it up good and hot, sear and cook without too much foolin' around :)