Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alternative to the BGE Cover

Options
Golasso
Golasso Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought an el cheapo vinyl cover for my large egg with nest and wood side tables 3 months ago. Right now, it has several rips in the cover because the cover snags on the metal holding the side tables on. I would rather not spend $40 or so on the official BGE cover, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    There are dozens of lawn furniture covers (and dozens of price ranges) available on line, at Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Menards, et al. I have a couch size model on my egg table.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I have the heavy duty BGE cover and it is great. It will last for years. I would spend the money on it if I were you. You have to get the heavy duty one, the other one will end up tearing on you.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    WalMart has a huge 72 incher to cover everything... only $24.
  • I had the BGE vented cover for about 4 years and it leaked and looked like s**t in a short time.

In Lowes one day I spotted the Weber covers. Went home and measured the new table up, down and sideways. Went back with my numbers and didn't they have one that fit perfectly! As I recall it was about $30. The material it's made of surpasses the BGE one by a mile. Go take a look.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    In the summer I use a BGE cover as my deck, hence BGE is shaded and protected by tree foliage. In the winter due to the harsh sun and exposure on the South side I merely use a 9 x 12 silver tarp meant for UV protection. It cost less than $10 from Menard's and has lasted 10 years so far and should last longer. It has metal grommets so it is easily anchored.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just go ahead and build that covered outdoor kitchen.
    The cost will run in the $10,000 to $30,000 range.
    NOW how is the $40 cover sound ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Heh, I'm guessing you got the same cover I did. I found a super-cheap cover that was intended for a bullet smoker. It was a plastic material, and during the winter, it just disintigrated. Since then, I've had a naked egg. I was hoping to build a table this past summer, and would get a cover after that, but a table wasn't in the cards. Maybe this year...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The Weber premium kettle covers are awesome, pretty inexpesive compared to the over priced BGE ones too. Check these out too:

http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113KH2
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have the Cover-Store cover and like it. I've only had it since Christmas so I can't say how long it will last though. Water beads up on it, snow falls off at a touch, the elastic at the bottom keeps it on even in the wind and it has remained flexible even in the cold. Seems to be well made and fits my Large perfectly, covering everything except the casters on the nest. It is MUCH nicer than my heavy duty Weber cover. $25.

The only problem I have with it (or ANY cover) is actually USING it. I cook on the egg most nights, later than I should. You can't put a cover on an egg if it's too hot of course, and mine usually is still hot by the time I go to bed. If I remember to put it on in the morning, at least it's covered for half the hours of the day. The cover store people told me that, if you can comfortably place your hand on the egg, it should be cool enough for their cover. I need to cook earlier!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut