Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time, what should I cook?

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to use the BGE for the FIRST TIME! Any suggestions on what I should cook?

Comments

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]Spatchcock chicken would be my choice. Lots of room for forgiveness. [p]Follow the link to Naked Whiz’s web site. Checkout the chicken recipes section.[p]Good Luck. Let us know what you decided on and how you made out.[p]RayS[p]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    ShortRib, Welcome. 2 recommendations. Cook what you loved to cook on your old grills-your specialty. It will be better than ever. Learn from my mistakes and take your time letting the grill settle in to the right temp a while before putting the meat on. PS my worst cooks on the egg were still good.[p]2-Season a chicken(or 2) to your liking and spatchcock it. The instructions are below, courtesy of the Naked Whiz's site. The best bird you've ever cooked-almost guaranteed.

[ul][li]Instructions[/ul]
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    ShortRib,
    I would go with what RayS suggested or maybe burgers or chicken peices. For you first cook you should do something simple to see how the egg works and play with the vents for temp control.[p]Jason

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    RayS, fyi. if you intended to post a link, and it did not show up, it's because you didnt give it a title in the "link title" box.[p]Funny we both recommended the chicken at the same time. Makes sense. I cook it once a week.

• Noonie
    Noonie Posts: 6
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]Why don't you try a pork roast or tenderloin. Then you can serve with you favorite side...sourkraut. Wings are always good...[p]In Hoc, [p]Noonie
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks for the info. That was the first time I tried to post a link.[p]Ray
  • captaincraigb
    Options
    ShortRib, a big hunking steak(1.5 to 2 inch) TREX'ed (with just a hint of smoke) will make you drive past steak houses forever. everthing we have done has come out great. have fun!