Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone

Options
mrobAZ
mrobAZ Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a new heavy-duty pizza stone from Forno Bravo as a number of people commented that many of the lighter stones crack under the intense heat of the Egg. The folks at Forno Bravo suggest keeping a screen or barrier between their stone and the flames saying that direct contact with the flames will cause cracks. The stone however can withstand up to 1200 degrees F. I've read a several posts re burning the gasket on the Egg when cranked up to 700 degrees. Has anyone experienced this using the place setter (which I'm thinking of using instead of a screen)? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Use your Platesetter, legs down, then your stone. You should be fine. If you have your egg feet, place them between your platesetter and pizza stone. Even better.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    If the lower part of your pizza stone is in a direct line with the glowing lump (i.e. no platesetter in between) you had better like burned pizza crust. :(

I do pizza at 500-550* on a BGE stone placed the platesetter with the little green feet between the stone and the platsetter.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    What size is the stone and what size is your egg? The problem with some larger stones and cooking at gasket levels at high temp is that it gives the flames and hot air no where to go exept thru the gaskets when blasting up past the stone.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    I recently replaced my gasket for the first time - not that big of a deal really but it isn't something I wish to do very often. I'm thinking of going with a Thermeez ceramic gasket the next time. That thing is rated to withstand continuos service temps up to 1,500 degrees F.

I believe most gaskets get burned out by two situations:

1. Letting the fire get too large and out of control at start-up

and

2. Not burping the egg before opening the lid with a big fire and getting the flame-up around the gasket.

As to your question, I use a pizza stone placed on top of my platesetter and it works great. No I cook my pizza around 450-475 so damage to the gasket isn't an issue. I don't have any flame getting up around the platesetter at those temps.

Just remember to get you platesetter and stone in the egg for enough time to get them both up to the proper temp to cook the pizza.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Here's my pizza setup:

- Plate setter legs down
    - 5 steel nuts on top of PS to give the stone a little airy goodness
    - BGE pizza stone
    - Cook 550-600
    - Cut parchment paper down to pizza size
    - No pizza peel yet, so I use a flat cookie sheet and some tongs to put the pizza on/off the stone

Happy Egging,
    Bryan
  • Waterscapes
    Options
    Can I use my plate setter for a pizza stone? I plan to only cook pizza's once per month?
  • mrobAZ
    mrobAZ Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the large Egg. I bought a 15 1/2" stone. Will I be okay with that?
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    The other posts here are good.It's best with an air gap between the plate setter and your pizza stone.Here's another option.
    P1010090.jpg
    fire bricks for spacers.some use BGE feet
    P1010089.jpg