Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

travelling with a big green egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We own a travel trailer with a metal grate platform on the back and would like to know if there is any way to put a Big Green Egg (small or mini) on it. Has anyone tried this and how well do the eggs travel?

Comments

• Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Options
    summer ,[p]I would think that it would be better if you could put the EGG IN the vehicle with you and talk and sang to it on the trip, then you would be greatly rewarded!!![p]Seriously, I don't know how it would handle riding on the metal grate. If you search the archives, someone (I can't remember who) detailed the egg transporter they built. You may be able to crate it up but I would still worry about the firebox and fire ring. Being on the tail end it is guaranteed to take it's share of bounces.[p]FWIW [p]Blaze
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    summer ,
    Last year, I bought my first BGE while we were traveling so had no choice but to carry it along. We had a travel trailer so I was able to keep it in the pickupbed. I didn't do anything special except lash it down good.[p]Since then, We have traded fro a fifthwheel and acquired a small BGE for travel. I Have one of those hitch reciever platforms for the truck. It will be underneath the forward part of the Trailer. I plan to carry the BGE on the platform. I plan to make a box with foam cushioning to protect the egg. Actually, the bottom of the box will sit on the platform before the egg is loaded. Then the rest of the box will set dow over the egg to be lashed in place.[p]My alternative is to carry the egg in the bed forward of the trailer but that seems like too difficult to get to.[p]Glad you started this link. It seems like an important subject and I am sure there are good alternatives out there among the members.

• summer ,[p]The Eggs will travel quite well in any type of camping unit and the small is a great camper cooker. While I would probably suggest something other than the cargo carrier on the back of your trailer, it can be carried here as well. [p]Buy a heavy duty plastic type garbage container with the snap lock lid (Rubbermaid) just large enough to fit your cooker and put about an inch of starfoam on the bottom and load your small into the can. To keep the firebox and the fire ring in place, put your charcoal which is in the bag into the cooker before you load it. I sometimes have to make a charcoal bag up with the right amount of charcoal to shove down into the cooker to hold everything. Just use a paper grocery sack or a pet food sack. The Rubbermaid has handles which can be used for your tiedown. I always also use a cargo net over the can to keep the lid from blowing off. I am not sure if it would as they lock down tight but this does keep if from blowing off. [p]I sometimes carry two cookers on a cargo carrier and will send you a couple of pictures.[p]Dave

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Regarding the bag of charcoal to hold the innards in place, maybe you could just use an iflatable el cheapo beach ball blown up to the right size to keep everything intact inside the egg??
    I haven't tried this, but it seems to me like it should work, and be easily adjustable.
    Just a thought,
    later,
    ChefRD

• ChefRD,[p]That's a good idea and got me thinking. I have a couple of those blow up pillows somewhere and I bet they would work as well.[p]Dave

• Blaze,We have traveled with a mini for a couple of years. I carry mine in my pop ups storage area, not in the back of my pick up. Mine stays in a box I built for it that is padded all around with styrofoam. I have never done anything on the inside as far as padding is concerned and have had no problems yet (knock on wood), but it does make sense to do something for shock absorption for the innards. Good link as there are many of us who travel with our eggs.

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    ChefRD,
    I like that idea too. The airlines tend to destroy the graphite shafts on golf clubs. The best (expensive) golf club travel bag is one that has an air-filled bladder inside to keep the clubs safe.[p]You might hang on to those air-filled bags that are used to pack stuff shipped from Amazon, etc.[p]Dave