Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First long smoke, pork shoulder

Options
Alan801
Alan801 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently fired Gertrude up for my first long smoke; whole pork shoulder. I had the butcher separate the picnic and the butt. I put on rub, then mustard/worcestershire sauce then more rub. I left that in the firdge for about 8 hours, and around 11:00 pm on a Saturday night got the egg ready. I stabilized it at about 230 dome temp, which next time I will do closer to 250. The shoulder was 17 lbs total, but since it was in two pieces, i thought it would take about 16 hours. It ended up being closer to 22, but the temp was a little too low for the first 12 hours or so. I got the dome temp up to 250 after that and it started to take off. I finally got it to 200 internal temp after about 22 hours. The butt almost fell apart taking it off the egg. The scored skin on the picnic helped it stay together. This became dinner for the Winston Salem Bourbon Club a couple days later. Here are some pics of the cook:

getting ready
DSC01740.JPG

On the Egg
DSC01756.JPG

8 hours in, the next morning
DSC01762.JPG

getting close 20 hours
DSC01771.JPG

finished product!
DSC01778.JPG

Comments