Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday....

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So... This week the partners and I decided to close the restaurant this week... bad news, but then again, there's always some good derived from these.... I got my second home egg! hhehehe
DSC_8095.jpg

Anyways... I celebrated with some short ribs... As I mentioned yesterday, at 4pm they hit the 40 hr mark, so at 9pm, after 45 hours cooking at 56C, I seared them at 650F and got this:
DSC_8086.jpg
DSC_8087.jpg
DSC_8085.jpg

They were amazing completely and uniformly medium, succulent and decadent:
DSC_8092.jpg
DSC_8091.jpg

And of course a premium prized mexican wine to accompany...
DSC_8093.jpg

Cheers!!

Comments

• Sooner Egg
    Options
    wow those look incredible :woohoo:
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    Holy cow, that looks amazing. I'm salivating over here.
  • PWise
    Options
    Thanks!!

cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    They were actually kinda good hehehehe :P
    thanks!

cheers!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Pato,
    I'm very sorry to hear that your business venture didn't work out. We've had fun watching you go through the process of building your restaurant from concept to completion. It's too bad you've had to close it. I'm sure even getting a new egg doesn't quite make everything feel better. Best wishes for whatever your next project will be.

Oh, and those shortribs look perfectly executed. Nice char, all pink, no grey...juicy and delicious looking. Yum.

Merry Christmas,
    Ben
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Yes, they look fantastic, but I don't understand something.

You said you cooked them at 56°C. That's 133°F. How did you keep your fire burning for 45 hours at that low of a temperature ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the restaurant :(

But the ribs look awesome!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pato, I am sorry about the restaurant.
    The short ribs look to be the best ;)
    What make you do them so slow?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Red meat and Red wine Pato, thats the good life

Ross
  • PWise
    Options
    Thanks Ben for your kind words... I for sure had fun sharing with you guys so I'm really glad you as well did (have fun) reading about it hehehe... but well... as much as I enjoyed it, business is business and one has to know when to get up from the poker table... especially when the "corporate issues" ARE issues...

the ribs were amazing.... thanks!!

cheers!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the closing Pato.Your food always looks so good.
    Larry
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your restaurant. I'm sure it was an emotional decision after you put so much into it. But business is business and knowing when to throw in the towel is just as important as every other aspect of the business.

I guess that means we will have to pack a brown-bag lunch when we come visiting. Oh wait... we know somehone who lives up on the mountain where we can get something to eat LOL...

I'm sure you are already thinking about another adventure. Best of luck to you.

Spring "Good Ideas Need Good Timing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • PWise
    Options
    Hey Gary:

They were cooked sous-vide using an immersion circulator (I have that configured in C, hence the C reference)... the thing with ribs is that they are way too fatty and colagen-y/sinew-y, ergo you have to, either braise them slowly to a well done temp or roast them slowly to the same well done temp.... collagen (connective tissue) breaks down at about 60C, which is higher than "medium cooked", so, when subjected for long enough at an even slightly lower temperature the energy accumulated is enough to slowly melt the collagen and fat, making it succulent, and since it is vacuum packed, you don't loose any of that deliciousness... with sous vide you require to, either finish right after taking out of the bath or, cool fast. In this case the best is to cool fast to coagulate all the goodies that are clinging to the outside of the beef inside the vacuum bag, and THEN sear, which is what I did...

I hope this clarifies instead of consfusing you further...

cheers!!
  • PWise
    Options
    hehehe... thanks Eddie!!

cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    the colagen man... the colagen and the tendernes...

will you come to austin next year? you might get to try them...

cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    Hehehehe tell me about it Ross...

cheers!!
  • PWise
    Options
    Thanks Larry!!!

cheers!!
  • PWise
    Options
    hehehe, every bit of what you say is true Leroy... well, except the part about the brown bag of course... I now have, not one, but TWO XLs at home (appart from the stove, the circulators, the oven, the george foreman electric gril hahaha) so I'm sure even though I live up in the mountain (which is not 100% true) I can probably manage and cook something for you hehehe

Will I see you and Judy in Austin??

cheers!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    And there's that Beli character on the other mountain. Surely he will feed a couple of weary travelers LOL

Yes to Austin. We will definitely be there.

Until then enjoy the holidays to their fullest.

Spring "There Goes Santa Claus" Chicken
  • PWise
    Options
    You too Leroy!! Give my best to Judy!

cheers!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, Pato. Perfectly clear.

Your first picture was the one of the Eggs, and then followed by your ribs. I just assumed you had cooked them on the Egg. That's why your 56°C didn't make sense to me.

Sous-vide is very enticing to me. I hadn't even heard of it until I read a post the other day (maybe it was yours).

Along with the others, I'm sorry to hear about your restaurant close.

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• PWise
    Options
    Austin Eggfest next April 24th... wanna come?

cheers!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Pato, very sorry to hear about the restaurant, I too watched your venture develop and wished I had balls enough to try something like that.

The ribs look outstanding! -RP
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    The annual Texas Eggfest. Unless something happens to change it the date is set for April 24th and will be held at The Oasis

http://www.oasis-austin.com/

Want to see some movies of what went on last year, click here:

http://texasspringchicken.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Then click on the links.

Hope to see you there.

Spring "Self Anointed Eggfester Inviter" Chicken
  • PWise
    Options
    Yeah, I had two XL BGE at the restaurant and one at home with sights of getting a second one... so now I got it heheheh.....

thanks for your wishes! same to you and your dear ones! cheers!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I looked at all of the videos. Good job !

You bet, I want to come. Are we supposed to bring our Eggs and cook? I don't think my large with table will fit into my Mini Cooper along with my wife.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• PWise
    Options
    hehe thanks Randy for your words!!

happy holidays for you and your dear ones! hope to see you soon at an eggfest somewhere....

cheers!
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Those ribs look awesome.
  • PWise
    Options
    You can leave your wife.... hehehe only
    kidding! :P I'll be driving from Monterrey with my own and some friends....

Basically you can register to cook or to visit, if you register as a cook, you get to use a new BGE (that was sold to someone at a discount with the condition that it has that one use beforehand) to cook your food (which you provide at your own cost) to share with everyone... if not you can just walk around eating everyone else's food...

Hope to see you there!!

cheers