Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Garlic is the Secret

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Mr. Hyde has been making pizzas for years now, but I think he's found the magic touch when he started using roasted garlic...next time we do them, I'll try to get a good pictoral of the process, from the making of the dough to the building of the pie...[p]After he got the dough made, he let it rise once, punched it down and let it rise again. After the second rise, he punched it down again, made two dough balls and let them proof in the fridge (Bigarms - I haven't forgotten your request for the dough recipe, but I've got to get him to sit down with me so I can write it up for you). While the rising and proofing was taking place, he cut up some veggies for the toppings (green pepper, red pepper, spinich, tomato, onion, black olives, and mushrooms)....[p]pizza-toppings.jpg[p]Then he replinished our supply of roasted garlic. Almost every time we fire up a cooker, we do some roasted garlic. We keep it stored in the fridge in olive oil. After a little while in the fridge like that, the oil becomes infused with the roasted garlic flavors and we use both oil and the garlic for lots of things.[p]When it was time, he made the pizzas. First, he basted the top of the crust with roasted garlic infused olive oil, then sprinkled with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Next he added the sauce, a little bit of the mozzarella, then the toppings and some roasted garlic, and finally more cheese.[p]pizza-half-veggie-cheese.jpg[p]This particular one was half veggie and half cheese with roasted garlic. It's gotta be the best one he's done so far![p]Mmmmmm,
Tonia
:~)

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    What a great idea for storing the roasted garlic, Tonia! I just bought one of the big bags of like 200 heads from Sam's. I'll be roasting some when I return from Savannah. Le Creuset here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Jim
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    QBabe,
    You know I just finished breakfast but now you went and made me hungry again. Damn looks like pizza on the egg tonight.
    Thanks for the inspiration Tonia[p]Jason

• Rumrunner
    Options
    QBabe, pizza looks great. I want to thank you and Larry for showing me how to make it on the grill. Look forward to some of this in a couple of weeks??[p]Btw, check your email for a qfest update.[p]Steve

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    QBabe and all, PLease be very careful how you store your garlic in oil. It has the potential of being very dangerous. Please check out this USAD link:[p]
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/fact_fbi.htm[p]SB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBabe,
    As usual, you two are putting out some serious food. When you all start competing, I hope you don't mind if we pick different contests from you!! [p]Thanks for posting that. I am truly inspired. Was thinking of pizza again soon anyway. If you could put me down for that dough recipe when you get it in words, I would love that![p]Enjoy your weekend.....supposed to be 60s and 70s here this weekend. Oooyayeeehaa!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Tell Mr. Hyde that is one beautiful pizza.[p]I just got my pristine white platesetter and pizza stone and am gearing up to do my first baking on the egg.
    I would greatly appreciate if you and the HydeMang would sit down and transcribe the whole process from dough-making to pulling the pizza off the stone...... 'cause i wanna make one just like that. [p]I sure am glad we have you folks around..... you two raise the bar in the green room...... the Dynamic Duo of BBQ![p]John[p]

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    Smokey Bob,[p]Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that it could be a problem. I guess we will have to by the premade garlic infused oil. I will still keep the roasted garlic on the pizza, I'll just have to eat the leftovers![p]Larry
  • QBabe
    Options
    Hi Jim,[p]We buy the Sam's garlic too, and that's what we've been using, but after reading Smokey Bob's post and doing some further reading, looks like we won't be storing it in oil anymore. Instead, we'll be buying the approved and premade garlic infused olive oils that have had the proper USDA handling and freezing our roasted garlic cloves instead. According to a UC Davis publication, freezing is safe, and it should be pretty easy to grab a few cloves out any time we want to use them...[p]We're getting ready to head out now to the LeCreuset Factory store in St. Augustine...can't wait![p]Cheers,
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Drivr,[p]We've got the second dough ball to make for lunch tomorrow...have fun yourself![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]You BET we're doing pizza again. Larry was really happy with the dough and it throws like a charm![p]See you there!
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Hey Chris,[p]I doubt we're up to the competition level yet, so you don't have much to worry about...[p]I'll try to get the crust recipe worked up when we get back from St. Augustine later today. [p]So, what gives with these temps...we woke up to 40° temps and yesterday, the wind chills were in the low 30's...and now, you're telling me you're expecting 60's and 70's...dang![p]Catch ya later,
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Thanks a bunch, John. Like I told Chris, I'll try to get that crust recipe out to everyone after we get back from our road trip to St. Augustine today to the LeCreuset Factory Store...[p]Looking forward to spending some time with you again at Waldorf in May![p]Tonia

• QBabe, OK, I'm a beginner. How do you roast the Garlic? Do you peel it 1st?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBabe,
    Hey, you should move north!! [p]Just got back from the store with a big pack of wings, and 3 sets of fresh jumbo frog legs! First warm day in a long, long time, and my plans are to put on some tunes, crack a beer, clean the garage and do some relaxing cooking.[p]Stay warm!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Your killin me with those pictures........I don't think I can cook my wings today with pleasure...hahaha
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    QBabe,
    You all are killing me - in a good kind of way :o}>[p]No really, that is one great looking pizza. I'm drooling on my keyboard as I type... Bravo!!! Joe

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    QBabe,
    roasted garlic dosent need the pizza!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Drivr,
    I'd already planned on pizza for dinner....now I'm real hungry!

• QBabe
    Options
    jwitheld,[p]You got me there, LOL! It's so good and sweet half of it gets eaten like candy before we get to the saving stage...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]P.S. Am I remembering correctly that your here in Florida?

• QBabe
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]Nope. We usually slice whole heads in half, flip them over so the cut side is up, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast in a 250° - 275° egg for about an hour. We use small, shallow cast iron dishes we got at the Lodge factory outlet to sit the garlic in, but you could use the pre-fab aluminum stuff in the grocery store or make your own shallow dish with heavy duty foil.[p]Then, when you're ready to pull it off, you can just squeeze the softened garlic out of the skin right onto a cracker, bread, or eat it plain...it's incredible how good and sweet it becomes after roasting. We also use it in dips, soups, stews, sautes, sauces...most anywhere you want.[p]Give it a try...
    Tonia

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    pizza3.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]Wow, thats one nice looking pizza. I have been doing a lot of pizza, and some strombolis, lately as well. This one from last weekend is a little roasted garlic and oil, sauce, buffalo mozzarella, grilled chicken pieces and fresh basil (put on toward the end of the cook). [p]I finally came up with a dough that I like a lot. I took a recipe that FatDog posted and tweeked it a little and got what I was looking for. That being said I would love to compare it to Mr. Hydes recipe. We love this one around here.[p]I have also been using a little different setup than I used to use if doing more than one. I don't know if you have had problems when doing several pizzas. The stone eventually gets so hot the the bottom is done, or burnt, before the top is done. I now use an "inverted" plate setter, cooking grid on the upturned legs and then the stone on the cooking grid. The gap between the stone and the plate setter apparently stops the direct transfer of heat. It still gets plenty hot, it might take a little longer though, to give you crispy crust and cooked top. If I am doing a lot of quesadillas I use the same setup.[p]Looking forward to your dough recipe.[p]Chuck
  • Banker John
    Options
    Chuck,
    You pizza is one to be proud of![p]I have had the same problems with the stone temp when cooking multiple pizzas. My solution was to still use the plate setter legs down topped with 5 1/2" brass elbows (kiln posts) topped with the pizza stone. The air gap between the top of the plate setter and the stone is enough for me to better manage the stone temp. Another trick I learned from this board is to wipe the stone with a damp cloth before placing the cornmeal & pie on the stone.[p]THe 1/2" brass elbows also work well when I use the dutch oven. I place the plate setter legs up, brass elbows and then the dutch oven.[p]Banker John

• JSlot
    Options
    Isn't the key there "improperly canned"? And wouldn't vacuum sealing the jar be an adequate process? This requires more investigation.[p]Jim[p]P.S. I had a successful trip to the Le Creuset store and I'll report in a separate post!!
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    JSlot,[p]I think I remember that you will be OK if you keep the infusion refrigerated (or properly canned). I'm not sure that vaccuum sealing would count because the spoiage (botulism) that you are worried about is anaerobic, it lives without oxygen. I'll try to check on this with some canning/preserving "experts" but I'm practically positive that for short term storage, refrigeration is acceptable (now, I guess defining short term storage comes into play).[p]BOB
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Banker John,[p]Thanks for the tip and the compliment on the pizza. I like your spacer idea, the stone will heat up faster but probably not overheat like sitting right on the plate setter does. Thanks again.[p]Chuck
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    JSlot,
    Roasted garlic heads freeze quite well. I buy a big bag of garlic - roast it all at once - let cool and through in a big ziplock bag and into the freezer.
    Cheers,
    Cap'n

• JSlot
    Options
    I'll have to give that a try, too, Cap'n. Thanks![p]Jim