Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it possible to have company for pulled pork?

Options
simpson_eh
simpson_eh Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first low and slow today. I got a five pound butt on about 6 a.m. Everything I read said it would take about 2 hours per pound at 250 degrees dome temp. So by that it should be done right about now, but it's only at 162 degrees internal. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or what. It doesn't really matter today because I'm home from work, so whenever it's done it's done, but if these things are that unpredictable it'll be impossible to ever have company for pulled pork. If I told them it would be ready at about 4 pm we'd be ordering a pizza right now. Do any of you have any secrets for finishing your shoulder at a planned time?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

For me timing is a chore at best.

You will have a rest for butt and I have held a butt for 5 hours before pulling and it is still hot.

I try to time for the butt to be done about 2 hours before planned eating time. That gives me some wiggle room.

You can always jack the temperature up to finish the cook quicker and it still tastes great. It is pretty hard to mess up a butt cook.

GG
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Sure, do it the day before and warm it up.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Wrap the butt in foil and bump the egg temp up to 300* It will be done very quickly, provided that your temps are correct (egg and meat)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I generally plan for 1.5 hours per pound targeting finishing about 4 hours before it's time to eat. That USUALLY works out, but I make sure my guests know "it's ready when it's ready" :)

Double check the calibration of your dome thermometer and instant thermometer. My buddy had a similar problem and it turned out either his dome thermometer was broken or water boils at 170f at his house :pinch:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • llrickman
    Options
    at 162 your in the platau stage. It can stay in that range for hours but when it comes out the temp will raise fairly fast. Like the previous poster said wrap it and bump the temp and it will get done
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • simpson_eh
    Options
    I recallibrate my tel-tru often, including last night. I don't think that is the problem. I thought my probe thermometer could be suspect, but I double checked with a thermapen, and they agree.
  • simpson_eh
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. It doesn't matter today, but I was just curious in case I want to get friends over next time to share the pig.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I would definitely wrap the butt and it will finish at 300* in the next hour.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Invite your guests over for a specified time, tell them they will eat when the pig is ready, and have plenty of adult beverages on hand to keep them occupied while Mr. Oink finishes cooking.

Uglydog
  • simpson_eh
    Options
    Sounds like a plan if it's only an hour late. For whatever reason, mine is taking HOURS longer than it should. Maybe Safeway only told me it was pork when really it's Donkey meat.
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    When I cook mine using my BBQ Guru, I usually set the pit temp at the meat level for 250. The dome temp usually reads about 300. Seems to me that the dome at 250 is a little low. Temp at meat level might be only 200. It can be foiled and the temp raised or put in a covered pan and finish it in the oven as it has gotten all the smoke flavor it will get. I'm doing an 8 lb one tomorrow.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Make sure your Thermometer is calibrated. I usually count on about 12 hours but can bump up the temp if needed.
  • simpson_eh
    Options
    Ok, well thanks for all the advice. The butt finally came off the egg after 14 hours. I let it rest for 30 min. in foil then pulled it and it was perfect. The bone slid right out and the meat just fell apart. The wife made bbq sauce and it was one fantastic dinner. I'd have taken a pic and put it up, but keep in mind this was 4 hrs. later than we planned to eat and we were HUNGRY and I forgot. I still don't know why it took 14 hours for a five lb. butt, and I think I'd like to do it a time or two again to get the feel for the timing before I try and have company over. But anyway, thanks again for all your help and advice.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I treat my butt cooks with DONE 12 HOURS early is better than waiting 4 hours to eat....
    Foil and cooler works.
    E
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Plan: get the butt ready early. You can double-wrap it in foil and then in towels and hold it in a cooler safely for 5 or more hours. If it doesn't done on time, then you have 5 or more hours of cushion.

Holding Meat in a Cooler

Another approach if it gets done early is to pull it and put it in foil trays. Cover with foil. Refrigerate. Reheat in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer to be sure you were cooking at the temp you thought you were.

How Do I Calibrate My Thermometer
    The Naked Whiz