Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

semi-OT: Viking Knives

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am the skeptics' skeptic. Someone here mentioned the "Viking" ceramic grill, which we discovered a few years back was just an attempt to trade on the viking name by wrapping a ceramic grill in stainless. goofy.

and i remember when viking first started making stoves for the home. we used to put commercial viking ranges into houses, and then viking caught on and started making stoves/oven specifically for the home market, sometimes turning out things that just 'Looked' fancy, and appealed to yuppies building million-dollar homes.

so. it was a VERY nice surprise to stumble on their knives. i won an 8" chef's knife (second place) last year in a carving contest (the "Serious Eats" annual jack-o-lantern contest), and this year won a set including the same 8" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife, and a 5" flexible boning knife (first place).

knives.jpg

top two are the chef's knives, obv.

i was very pleasantly surprised. nice and hefty. yeah, "same old" soft german steel that serious knife folks complain about, but if you find henckels and wusthof to be an excellent choice for home-use (i like the balance and heft of the wusthof, though they can be hard to keep razor sharp for very long).

so imagine my surprise when the viking knives came in, and i actually prefer them. beefier, they roll very well (the chef's knives), and they don't cost a million bucks, so i don't need to throw a hissyfit if some guest takes one down and uses it at a dinner party to slice something.

they actually seem to stay sharper than the wusties, but they are the (same?) sollingen steel.

anyway. lame review, but thought i'd share.

here's where they reside...
we live in an old cottagey 1920's house, small kitchen.

behind that potrack (which i made, thanks very much) is a frikkin cleaver, hanging there like the sword of damocles. hahaha

kniferack.jpg

Comments