Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire help

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can you tell if you need to add more lump, I iave had egg burning bout 13 hrs. Chasing temp all night bout 230ish grid 225-250 dome. Vents open alot more than normal for that temp. I now have fan running into bottom vent temp rose back to 220 grid, but will not hold. Current 2258 dome and 210 grid with vents set to what snould be about 400* in summer. going to try wiggleing the vent holes.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it sounds to me you may need to use a coat hanger and unclog your "Fire Grate" holes...

and you may need to add lump..

what are you cooking?

if it is something you don't want to ruin with nasty smoke (from new lump being added and catching on fire), then you may need to wrap in foil and put in a oven till the new smoke clears ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    4 butts for bday party, started full to the firebox maybe a little more. Will try coat hanger again, got it up to 240grid, with fan, then when shut down vents = shut down temp as well
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    It is either you are out of fuel, or your air holes are blocked. Either one is bad news. Your going to have to open the egg and fix it.
    Melvin
    San Angelo, texas
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if you need a fan you have some sort of problem.. like i said wrap them in foil and add more lump when you do stir around the remaining lump with your ash tool.. don't tell anyone you put them in the oven and they will not know ;)

next time you do a big cook fill to the fire ring..

btw if the party is this afternoon when you wraqp them in foil it will speed the cook along..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb