Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To soak or not to soak?

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usualy use wood chunks when I want a add a smoky flavor to my cooks. However, I was only able to find chips today. I've read before that chips should be soaked for 30 mins prior to placing on the egg, but I've also heard some say that it isnt necessary. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    The Egg has limited oxygen so the chips will smolder by themselves. All soaking does is take up your time and delay their smoldering until the water in the chips evaporates. Bottomline: Don't bother soaking them.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I agree but with one exception. When I have some several step method going on like say using a plate setter and then copper elbows on it and then say a drip pan and then returning the grill and then placing the meat on the grill...all that takes time and the chips will be flaming not smoldering or smoking like crazy so I'm choking and can't see...that's when I will soak my chips in advance to buy me time. Otherwise if it's a quick throw in chips slap on grill and meat I don't bother!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    GOOD POINT! I never thought of soaking to buy time. :blush:
  • gasface
    Options
    I always soak them myself. Otherwise they pretty much are gone in 5 minutes
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Soaking wood chips or whatever and throwing them on 1200 degree coals pretty much vaporizes and steam is produced lowering the temperature. That's why you don't soak.