Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Cooking Time

Options
mbowen6636
mbowen6636 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have not had our large egg long, But have been using it often.
Want to cook an 8 lb. turkey breast (bone in).
Please recommend what temp, and how long it should take.
I have been searching for temps and time on various items and cannot seem to find. Everything says "cook to internal temp of" but no guideline as to how long based on weight.
We just cooked a 5 lb boston butt at 260 degrees and thought it would take 4 hours. It took 6.
Anyone have a weight and temp chart?
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    I've not cooked a Breast, but if you look upper left corner, just above the posts (SEARCH FORUM) type in turkey breast, should give you some help, ;)
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    not sure you will find a chart like you looking for.
    the best thing I can offer is to cook the breast to a temp of 160 and then pull and tent
    get your self a remote thermometer it is well worth it.
    gp
  • mbowen6636
    Options
    Have the remote thermometer. Would just like to know if we should expect dinner to be ready at 5pm or 9pm.
    I guess after we cook enough, we will learn how to gauge the time and temp.

Thanks for your reply
  • mbowen6636
    Options
    Thanks, will try that.

I just wish someone had a chart of time and temp based on weight.

Thanks again for your reply.

GO
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07499a.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood. Glad you're enjoying your Egg.

I think the reason that you don't find actual time/temp charts for most things is because there are so many variables. Your pit temp may wander, you may have an injected or brined breast, you may be peeking in the cooker more often, and you may select a different cooking temp than I would. A time per pound (on many cooks) is only a guess as the formula would not work on a small one or on a large one.

If it's a regular breast and you are just roasting it, maybe with some smoke flavor, the most recommended pit temps are between 300 and 350. You need to use an indirect set-up, and using a cable thermometer to monitor the internal temp is a good idea. Your target temperature is 160°. I cook 5 to 6 pound ones with these conditions, and the cook time will be 2 or 2-1/2hours. The advantage of the cable thermometer is that you can watch the internal temp rise, when it gets over 100° you have the option to raise or drop your pit temp to coincide with your sit down time.

If I was guessing on an 8 pound one at 325° I would say 3 hours. But you really need to watch the thermometer.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery