Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the Stoker out of the elements

Options
SkySaw
SkySaw Posts: 656
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I use the computer to control my Stoker, I decided to keep it in a container that would also hopefully keep it and the Airport Express out of the elements. Thanks(!) to RU Eggsperienced, I crafted a crude imitation of his Stoker-holder. It's a tupperware container that I used a door-lock cutting drill bit to cut a hole in, and caulked a plumbing elbow joint piece of pvc in the hole. I blame my caulking skills on my severe left-handedness (although I know that if Molly the Cooknbiker reads this, she will call me on that one). In any case, an extension cord emerges from the elbow joint, as does the Stoker's fan control, pit probe, and food probe. This setup should offer excellent protection from the rain/snow, although I still need a weather solution for fan itself:

4091535834_852e284d2e_o.jpg

As I'd hoped, the setup is great for cooking while running around. I fired up the Egg at 4:50, connected the Stoker set to 300 degrees, went inside and got the chicken. I cooked a dozen drums on the vertical drum holder, after marinating the drumsticks in lemon rind, olive oil, and some fresh herbs. Put the chicken on at 5:10, and we went for our evening family walk. The Stoker Twittered me every 5 minutes to let me know how things were going. This is a sample of what Stoker Tweets look like:

4091550584_f4a45e0d75.jpg

Hilariously, I have 3 'followers' on Twitter (which, I think, are people who 'subscribe' to my, or at least my Stoker's Tweets).

It was easy to time our walk to get home just as the drumsticks were reaching 195. I put a bit of sauce on them, and cranked the Egg to 325 for 10 minutes to finish them. The StokerLog chastised for this action by telling me that my cooker's stability was 'poor'. Opening the Egg causes a big temp spike, even though I turn off the the Stoker when I open the lid and turn it back on when I close the lid.

4090785207_7964f8098a_b.jpg

I originally had no interest in StokerLog, but once you start logging your cooks, and seeing the handy features in StokerLog, it becomes very enticing. I'm not great at keeping notes on my cooks, but I think now with the StokerLog and taking photos, notes are becoming both easy to take and information-packed.

At 6:40 the drums were perfect, the broccoli was cooked, and the rice was ready. Dinner was awesome, and about as easy as ordering out.

Mark

Comments

• Lovenbrau
    Options
    what brand temp regulator do you use? that is awsome, the use of twitter/computer to make sure the food is doing as it is supposed to.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Way cool man ... I've had my cyberQ for months ... use it several times a week, but haven't explored any fun possibilities like you have going with the stoker ... you've re-motivated me to explore the possibilities!

Joel
  • hawkegg
    Options
    I remember your post from the other day. Does the stoker log work on pc, mac or is it web based. I would like to go this route but want to make sure it is compatible with the mac. I have a guru Digi Q2 now that I might upgrade
  • SkySaw
    Options
    StokerLog is free software that was developed by a a guy who used to work for MicroSoft, so StokerLog is strictly a PC application. I have Parallels on my Mac, so I just switch over to get StokerLog running. If you have Parallels or VMware, or even Bootcamp, it's easy.

Mark
  • hawkegg
    Options
    Is that an easy way to say that you just boot your mac as a pc. You don't need to have the comp running to control with a phone do you. I have an iphone and eventually want to be able to control away from home
  • SkySaw
    Options
    StokerLog (the software) needs a PC to be running, or a Mac running in PC mode, but the Stoker itself is web-based. You do not need the computer running to control the Stoker or to set it up to Tweet you. If you have a functioning network, all your computers can be off and you can set-up, control, monitor and Tweet solely from your iphone.

The only actual drawback to having a Mac and a Stoker is that the Stoker requires a PC to update its firmware. So, if Rock come up with some nifty new features for the Stoker and you want to update your unit, you need to find someone with a PC.

Mark
  • glousteau
    Options
    Here is how I waterproofed my fan, unscrewed one of the screws and drilled a tiny hole in the aluminum, put the screw back in. I also used a single sheet-metal screw and a single piece of duct tape to secure it in place. The beauty of it is you get to pick your favorite beverage to make the raincoat out of

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg
  • SkySaw
    Options
    That is a great solution. Thanks for sharing it - I will give it a try. I might use a tall-boy for the additional...weather protection B) .

Mark