Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Left handed knives

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone that may be left handed used a left handed knife and did it???????? make a difference or just feel better to cut with????

Thanks,
Bordello
Being left handed always confused the girl. :whistle:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Bob,

I'm a southpaw and I find that most left handed tools are better. Specially the screwdrivers and wrenches. You are funnin' us right?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't forget the hammers.
  • Bordello
    Options
    :whistle:
    No,No,No, not about the knives or the girls. :lol:

I was looking at the Shun left handed ones. I cut 90% of the time left handed but now and then do have to use the right hand.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bordello....You must be referring to the Shun Classic Series...the handle is tear drop shaped to fit the hand nicely. I recommend them highly. Extremely comfortable in the hand, and the blade holds its edge very well. Worth the investment. (and you can still use it in your right hand if needed...it just wont be as comfortable in the right hand....)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry Bob,

Didn't know there was such a thing. I'm not a southpaw BTW. We used to have fun with apprentices sending them for left handed pipe wrenches and drills and such. File grease, room stretchers etc.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Options
    :laugh:
    Not a problem L.S., I have been given the left handed thing :angry: most of my life so I'm used to it.

Now keep in mind that I have no sense of humor. :whistle: :silly: :lol:

Not a problem,
    Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Yes.
    I so apprecitate your input. Now when I look at the classic left handed I only see them in the D handle.

Am I missing a left handed tear drop??? That would be what I would like.

Let me know as I am in the pub. :silly:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    your average knife is a double beveled knife with a symetrical handle and will work for right or left japanese knives are single or double bevel depending on the purpose of the knife ,, a deba [fish] honesuki [chicken] or usuba [vegetable] are single beveled knives and available in left or right handed.
    you will pay a premium for being a southpaw.
    i got my best friend a left handed usuba and he loves it.. korin or japanwood worker would be a good place to start,, i can send links if you wish let me know..
    shun makes a good produck and offers a sharpening service,,, before you buy !!!!japanese steel is hard [brittle] and will chip.. they cannot go in the drawer,, and they are sharper than you are used to.. seriously , once the adult beverages come out the japanese knives get put away ,,, i do not use them if i have been drinking [really]
    nice deviled eggs :evil:
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I've never seen any except D handles either. Personally unless it's a single edged knife (Nakiri) it makes no difference.

I've ordered from here.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun_left_handed.htm
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Im a lefty, and have been considering the Shun Classic 8" Chef for Lefties. However, Im not a big fan of the handle design at all.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Left handed drill bits are a common cutting tool. We use them all the time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I am a pure do everything left hander. I have no problem with using knives. For me it is the sewing needles. :laugh: :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RVH,

I was talking about the machine ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Options
    Thanks for the back up. :) It's needed. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bordello.....It really isn't a "D".....and really isn't a "tear drop" either....It does come to a slight point.... kind of a cross between a D and a tear.... lemme see if I can get a decent pic....
  • Bordello
    Options
    Please send any info you think will help, but I don't want to be on over load if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Have to agree but without one in my hand don't know. I like the tear drop look but have not found it in left handed.

Will wait and see,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    I have no clue how to answer you. :unsure: :(
    But us southpaws are in a class all alone. :silly:

My Best,
    Bordello
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    usuba is single bevel professional style vegetable knife , nakiri is double beveled commonly used by home cooks , the one at the top right is the one i purchased

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13199&s=JapanWoodworker

japanese knives are an addiction so unless you are looking for a new hobby and drain on your disposable income i would stick with the shun.. real question is what are you looking to do with your knife. general chef knife? or something specific..
    bill
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bordello....Here is a pic of my Shun Classic Handle....I wouldn't call it a "D".....though "teardrop" probably isn't 100% accurate either.....but it definately has a peak....not rounded like a "D". You will love it. ;) (obviously mine is for Right Handed....)

DSC01750.jpg
  • Bordello
    Options
    Oh,
    Didn't mean to cause you trouble, but if you're able to post one, Great.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    L.C.
    Thanks for the pict. It helps much.

Now, I'm one mixed up puppy. :(

When I worked in the sausage kitchen and we bone pates, butts and briskets, I cut left handed. Now I'm at home eating pizza and after all these years find........ my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right. :lol:

O.K., so I eat cutting meat right handed but in prep would be left handed. Oh, what to do. :(

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    One of each? :laugh:
  • Bordello
    Options
    After looking at the website I think I will go with the Shun.

I do appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Hi Michelle,
    O.K.
    Guess my beer and V has kicked in. The Shun knife would be a cutting knive "Not a dinner knife" Duh. :angry:

I'll always admitt to being stupid or burning up a cook. :(

I'm not really as bad as I may seem. :silly:

Now to shop online.

My Best to you and Bubba Tim,
    Bordello
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Heck, we are in our right minds..DUH!!! :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • im a lefty.i make my knives from a deer horn that fits nicely to my grip>you cant buy them>maybe a costom job?
  • Bordello
    Options
    :whistle::lol: :silly: Way too funny.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Now that is interesting and I hope they are working well for you.

Regards,
    Bordello