Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE instant read therm

StickbenderStickbender Posts: 17
edited 4:35PM in EggHead Forum
Are the BGE instant reads the sasme as thermo pin everyone talks about?
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,252
    not at all!!!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Thanks, I didn't know if it was or not
    ·
  • uglydoguglydog Posts: 256
    The thermopen has a small tip which can easily be inserted into a steak, potatoe, bread, or whatever you are cooking, and gives you an almost instantaneous digital readout of the temperature at the tip. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever cooked without it.
    Don't know about the BGE thermometer.

Uglydog
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    They look the same to me.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,252
    looks and performance are two different things!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    The BGE instant-read is 8-10 seconds. The Thermopen is 3 seconds and I hear the new one is faster.

If I have a lid open and checking 5 or 6 steaks I's much rather be over the hot heat for 15 to 24 seconds than to be over the heat for a whole minute or more.
    ·
  • Very well stated!!! You will burn all the hair off of your arm with the BGE model if you are trying to be very accurate.
    ·
    This isnt a Thermapen?

IRT.jpg
    ·
  • JCinGAJCinGA Posts: 139
    Nope.
    I bought one like yours and finally had to throw it away. It quit working like it should. Just before Eggtoberfest I bought one of the new ones Mollyshark sells. Man is it quick.
    ·
    Ah, ok.
    I actually dont have one of those, but rather one from Molly that I ordered last year. I do love it, and consider it invaluble.
    ·