Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post! Also Pork Butt w/ Raging River

Options
Synblade
Synblade Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody, been lurking on these boards for almost a year so I figured I would finally put up a post with a pic. Did a boneless pork shoulder from Costco last night, took about 8 hours which was faster than I was expecting.

Raging River rub and hickory/apple chips. In the cooler now for a party later tonight, hopefully it turns out well :)

img1310.jpg

Comments

• Matt_inSC
    Options
    Looks fantastic. How many pounds was it fresh? And what dome temp did you go with?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Later tonight?? You'll want to get it out of that cooler, pulled and into ziplock bags in the frig. Reheat it later when the party starts.

Looks good though..
  • Synblade
    Options
    I think it was around 7 pounds? I got them in a two pack a while ago and it was in the freezer.

I started it last night and let it go, so I'm thinking the dome temp was probably closer to 210 or so most of the night. I bumped it up to 250 for the last couple hours. I had it wrapped with twine but cut that off for the picture :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Synblade,

Hello and welcome! Great job on the butt. It took less time because it is boneless. As Celtic Wolf said, you will want to pull that and bag it if you are not using til tonight. Vacuum seal bags are great for pulled pork. You can put a little sauce in the bag, or not, and reheat in simmering water.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Synblade, Great job! ;) Your company will love it! :P By the way welcome to the forum and keep posting with beautiful pic's. Enjoy your food that you smoked and keep us posted. Tim
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My game plan would be to keep it out of the "danger" zone (40F-140F) if it's gotta stay on 'hold' for more than 4 hrs. This could be done in an oven or a food storage device, like a cooler (with a little added heat), securely wrapped with a bit of liquid (soda, stock etc.) to prevent dehydration. Your choice, butt I would just keep it warm & moist and pull it later~~
  • Paco
    Paco Posts: 27
    Options
    How long can you leave a Butt in the cooler? Is there a there a time period or as long as it stays above 140?
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Welcome to the board and the joy of Egg food.

I'd like to add that you have a beautiful butt.

I'd appreciate it if everyone takes that statement in the spirit it was intended.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    145, butt it will cool fast when it's out.

4 hours tops, but that is pushing it.
  • Synblade
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, and yes I will be pulling it and putting it in the fridge before tonight. I normally leave it in the cooler for 3-4 hours.