Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket - help!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook my 1st brisket and am looking for some advice. Dome temps, direct or indirect, all the usual stuff. Thanks in advance for the help folks.

Comments

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    aceman, I do dome temp at 225 to 250, indirect cook, and get the inside meat temp to 190 to 200, cook time should be somewhere around and hour and half per pound. But don't rush it, inside temp is what I go by. [p]Hugh, Sitting on the "Dock of The Woods"

• The Other Dave
    Options
    aceman, I believe folks will be somewhat slow to answer this one because this has been discussed so in-depth recently. New techniques are being explored during this time. Basically, the method of cooking brisket is "on its head" but a low and slow at 250 and an internal plateau around 180 or somewhat less for several hours won't be disappointing.

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    aceman, I also do some kind of drip pan under my brisket, there will be alot of fat dripping. I got 3 racks of Baby Backs on right now. I am planning on doing some good eating at half time of the Packers game! Good Luck with your Brisket![p]Hugh, It's nice out here on the "Dock of The Woods"

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Dock of The Woods, The "new" thinking seems to be that temps over 180 begins to dry the brisket and are unnecessary. I haven't tried this new method yet, though. But I certainly respect the opinions of drbbq in this regard.

• The Other Dave,
    I tried it last night by accident....great stuff! I am bias because this was my first one, but it sure was good! I started it at noon and pulled it at 1:00am because I was tired of waiting..internal was 178. I let it rest of about 20 minutes then used forks to pull it. Great post midnight snack...also good to soak up the many beers consumed in the process of cooking.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Dock of The Woods,
    Where have you been hiding Hugh...When are you coming back to Augusta.
    Larry

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Beer.[p]It's not just for breakfast anymore.
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    aceman,
    Nature Boy's web site has a good essay on brisket that may be helpful to you. Here is the link: www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBrisket.html

• aceman,
    Did a 6 3/4 lb brisket yesterday. Started at 5AM cooked it with the indirect attachement with a drip pan. Tried to keep temp at around 225 - 250. At 5 PM wrapped in foil and cranked up the heat (300+). That helped get the internal temp up above 175 to about 205. Pulled off and wrapped in foil to let sit. Cutt in 1/2 inch strips and broke apart and mixed with Bbq sauce.