Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What thermometer do you use?

Options
Crawgator
Crawgator Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all!

New egg owner, long time BBQ'er. What remote thermometer are ya'll using? I have read about them till I am just confused as to what a good one is. I have read good reviews about the Maveric brand.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I use a Maverick.It was suppose to be about 40 bucks but I bought it on Woot for 19.99. Seems to do the trick. I have compared it with a thermopen and its always spot on with the temp.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Some people have good luck with the Maverick, I didn't. It would lose reception at about 20', the instructions are horrible, and the switch broke the second time I used it. Unless you really need the wireless feature, I'd go with any of the cheap probe thermometers you can get at Target or Walmart. -RP
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This question gets asked here about every other day. Use the search feature to get lots of additional reviews.

I use the Maverick ET-73 which has worked without any problems for me for almost a year. I use it on every low and slow cook.

I also use a Thermapen to check for doneness in several places when I know I am near the end of the cook.

This combination works very well for me.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Crawgator
    Options
    Shiff wrote:
    This question gets asked here about every other day. Use the search feature to get lots of additional reviews.

I use the Maverick ET-73 which has worked without any problems for me for almost a year. I use it on every low and slow cook.

I also use a Thermapen to check for doneness in several places when I know I am near the end of the cook.

This combination works very well for me.

Thanks.I searched and got 50/50 on maverick hence my question. Seems like there should be other models available folks use!

I'm beginning to think the way to go is Thermapen and a cheap walmart remote probe thermometer.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I use a Walmart special it's grey with no other markings wireless and love it for $15. Does the job, but will problably get ET-73 to monitor grid temp as well in the future
  • Crawgator
    Options
    Rolling Egg wrote:
    I use a Maverick.It was suppose to be about 40 bucks but I bought it on Woot for 19.99. Seems to do the trick. I have compared it with a thermopen and its always spot on with the temp.

I saw the maverick on woot but was to late to buy one!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I am with shiff on this. ET73 & thermapen. Tim
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The nice thing about the ET-73 is that it has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the grid temp. Plus it has alarms that will tell you it is out of the range that you specify. This really helps on an overnight cook with the receiver next to your bed.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA