Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tacos

Options
Gunnar
Gunnar Posts: 2,307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Held the seasoning to salt & pepper since I want to do something different with the remaining tenderloin this evening. Maybe some gravy (which the wife does an excelent job of) or a mustard sauce (which I've never had before-ideas are welcome).
TacosalPastor002.jpg
TacosalPastor009.jpg
It's a good thing my wife was looking out the window or this CI would have been empty before it made it inside.
TacosalPastor013.jpg
TacosalPastor018.jpg
LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    when i make pork tacos i use the marinade from the recepie below and marinade some tenderloin for about an hour or two..

although i was going to make this at eggtoberfest but since i could not get on an egg (changes comming next year) i actually cooked them for sunday night after eggtoberfest i started marinating them on sat morning they were pretty good i make my own salsa and add some cheese and sour cream. i will have to try adding the avacodos like you did.. anyway i am rambling here is gthe recepie if you get a chance::::

Pork, Tenderloin, Grilled Lime Marinated Pork

Had another 'personal best' on the Egg tonight. I used an old pork chop recipe that I had in my BigOven software and I just converted it to pork tenderloin. All of us had at least two helpings. One of my 8 y/o's friends was over for dinner and he scarfed it down like a hungry pup

INGREDIENTS:
    4 pork chops (see notes below)
    3 tsp lime juice
    4 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 garlic
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    ground pepper
    1/2 tsp salt

Instructions
    1 Place pork in a shallow non-reactive dish or heavy duty sealable bag.
    2 In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and pour the mixture over the pork. Turn the meat to coat thoroughly, cover the dish or seal the bag and marinate 1 to 3 hours.
    3 Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding the marinade and place the chops on the grill to sear. Cook about 8 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
    Our Notes:
    1 02-22-2008: This works great using a pork tenderloin instead of the chops. Get the grill (BGE) to 500°F and sear the tenderloin on each side for about 60-90 seconds. Set the tenderloin in a v-rack in a water filled dripping pan and return to grill. Maintain the heat around 450f until the meat hits 145f internal temp. Double wrap in foil and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes so temp will rise to 155f. Slice on a bias and serve.
    2 Chris
    3 Knoxville TN

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Cooking Tips
    i skip all the v-rack and drip pan nonsense. and just grill direct 350-400 ish until the tenderloin is 145.. pull, rest under foil, and slice.. it is very good on some tortillas.. tb 2009/02/08

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Swibirun, 2008/02/22

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Quite nice, My Friend. Looks great, and love the mood lighting!
  • Gunnar
    Options
    The marinade couldn't be simpler and I have everything on hand but the limes. I'll try it in the next week or so. Thanks.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    That grill light is one of the best toys I have. No matter how dark it is, you see the food in it's real color.
  • O
    O Posts: 25
    Options
    just curious>why are the ends tied up?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that is the exact reason i did it.. but i did have some of that jar lime stuff and i have been using it ever since.. in fact when we get low i grab some just to make sure ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gunnar
    Options
    For uniform thickness, too even the cooking time from the fat end to the thinner end. Besides I have enough string to last me 10 years.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Great looking Plate
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Barry,

They look great. I never would have thought of tenderloin in tacos. The pictures are awesome too. Did I read that that is the led grill light?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    had taco bell takeout today, was thinking it was pretty good til now :ermm: :laugh: maybe some of those this weekend :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Cr^p, this is embarrassing...I've had the light for years and don’t remember without looking. I think its halogen.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Those look really good! We're going to try a Sandra Lee recipe for pork carnitas tacos at our tailgate this weekend. Of course we'll modify it to include using the egg!

Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/carnitas-tacos-with-spicy-slaw-recipe/index.html

Bruce
  • Gunnar
    Options
    I remove my pork tenderloin at 140º and foil wrap for 10 minutes. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Nice cook Barry

Ross
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    My daughter (she's 10) told me a few months ago that she learned in school that Taco Bell meat was "Grade D". I haven't been able to eat Taco Bell since :(
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Thanks, I can’t resist the sautéed onions and jalapenos.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You and yor wife make great food!! Nice pics.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Bente, that recipe sounds fantastic!! I copied it and have it in my to-do list.
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Thanks, I cook, she bakes...trying to meld the two.