Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braided Reuben Sandwich pic heavy

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my step sons favorite meal when they come to Maine. It is simple and easy and does up great on the egg.
001-1.jpg
the raws :)
I cut off the edge of the bag on the kraut and squeeze it to remove all the juice. you want it as dry as you can get it.
004.jpg
dough rolled out and the meat on
007.jpg
now just layer up the Swiss cheese and Russian dressing and the sour kraut. brush the edges with a beaten egg and slice them to make the braid.
008.jpg
this is what I do to the ends so they don't drip all over and burst out
014.jpg
Set up is about 375 indirect. cook till golden brown about 30-40 minutes
026.jpg

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that is really cool!!!

although i may never make that unless some of the guys come over cause my wife is not a big fan.. me i love them... but you have me thinking about it ;)

is there any other ones you have made before? i was thinking that ham and cheese would work good or something along those lines.. and since i have the ability to post pictures again. i will have to start taking pictures of things i cook instead of all the other bs i have been taking pictures of :S

i will have to try some kind of sandwitch this weekend cause yours looks DAMN GOOD

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mainegg
    Options
    you could even do it half and half or just do two smaller ones. any filling is good. a chicken salad with mozzarella cheese is to die for :) you have to love the frozen bread dough for stuff like this!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That is so simple and has the wow factoe too!! Great Julie!! Way to change it up!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Julie...That looks fantastic!!! :laugh: :) You are SO very creative, especially when using breads or pastries! ;) Do you add any special spices??? :blink: :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Set-up?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL Ok I will fess up :S as I was going out the door and had the stupid thing on my peal, off it goes upside down on the porch :( thank goodness I had swept out there the other day and was not to bad :whistle: that is why it is shaped kind of funny LOL I like it with a few caraway seeds sprinkled over it too but Neil does not like them,
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea the wife likes it when i buy that stuff it keeps the flour from flying in the kitchen :laugh:

also if she plays her cards right i will make jay's chocolate bread thingy.. now that really is to die for ;)

the chicken salad sounds good i have 4 hours in the car to think about it tomorrow i don't want to think too much about it tonight since i have already had dinner and i want to leave as much snacking out as i can :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mainegg
    Options
    I edited it Molly so it is in there. 375 indirect. 30-40 minutes :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Now nobody would have known ANY different.... :blink: :pinch: And you go and confess?? :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: :laugh: ;) I hope you told Neil before he reads the post... :blink: :pinch: :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Julie,

Darn that looks good!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Options
    lol well it looked funny LC you can see something happened to it.... it looks kind sad :blink:
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    very nice - looks oh!, so good

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    This is definitely on my "to do" list....yummy....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    That looks awesome! That'll be my next calzone!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lobsta Roll??? :huh: You think it would work? :huh: :whistle: NO! Wait! 'Loney n cheese!!! :laugh: :whistle: :evil: B)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    That looks absolutely wonderful Julie

Ross
  • Never Summer
    Options
    Wow - that's beautiful, Julie! You have my mouth watering.

I bet it would taste great with rye bread dough. Maybe a rye dough from one of the books like "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day". It could be just as quick as buying dough.

Thanks for the post - you have my mind spinning with possibilities!

Patty
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    wow does that look good time for me to makke some more pastrami
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    darn posted this under your post julie, sorry bout that. anyways was no way i wanted to sit in the rain last night, hats off to your cook, hope it was better out up there :)

miserable out last night, decided to cook in :laugh: as simple as these are, i dont think ive ever made them before, and to think one can cook indoors :whistle: first i get a cell phone, now cooking IN the house, i can see a microwave in the future :ermm: :laugh:

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I'd over eat for sure if I made that sandwich. :S Guess that's the good side of being a foodie. :laugh: Thanks for the post and ideas.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • DAC2
    DAC2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Great idea!!!Looks awesome!!
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Wow that looks incredible. Drooling just looking at it
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You and your braids. Do you have a little girl?
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Oh, My Goodness!!!! You're killing me! That is beautiful! Wow!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    That looks glorious!!!! I need to get to work!
  • Mainegg
    Options
    I am a frustrated hair dresser :S just two little boys ..... :P LOl
  • JudyFoodie
    Options
    Julie,

I do a pampered chef braided dish using Pillsbury dough and fill it with chicken, broccoli and cheese. Yours would probably taste 10x better. Gotta try yours for a Sunday brunch or maybe one night during the World Series during the seventh inning stretch.

Judy
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    Great job Julie- that looks AWESOME!!!!