Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked ham

Options
icunurse
icunurse Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wanting to smoke a 8-10 lbs ham with apple chips. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If it is already cooked Mr Egret is the master, I like to use his method with a pre sliced one.

Pork, Ham, Maple-Bourbon, Spiral Cut, Richard Fl

I took the recipe that Egret has been doing for many years and made a few modifications.

100_2396.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    1 10-12 Lbs Cooked, ready to eat Ham, Sliced W/ Bone-In
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 tsp Coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt

Procedure:
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Poke several vertical holes and pour the paste over the ham and between the slices. I prefer the sliced ham as it is easier to present and slice after the cook.
    2 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    3 Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. Check after 3 1/2 hours as the sliced ham has a tendency to dry out. If using unsliced ham the cooking time is about 5 hours. Pull at 140°F

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/09/06
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    As Richard has said…Do it nice and slow at 250 F. When it temps. at 140 F. for a pre-cooked / smoked and I've read 160 F. for a fresh, raw they’re ready.
    I haven’t done a raw ham, only double smoking the bone in, pre-cooked ones and have had great success doing so as they are with either maple or hickory smoke woods.
    “As They Are” meaning I didn’t inject nor rub or glaze with anything, as my family likes it best that way.
    We also like a stronger smoke flavor and both the maple and hickory have been good at this with the hickory being the stronger of the two. I haven’t used apple wood for doing a ham (I have used it with chicken and fish) but I’m sure a milder smoke would be just fine.
    Good luck…Have fun!
  • Stanegg
    Stanegg Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going give this one a shot.