Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt help

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a small 3.76 lb roast for tomorrow. Any help with dome temp, internal temp and seasoning would be much appreciated.

I'm assuming indirect....anyone add smoke?

Again thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    250 dome till it's 195 internal..

Too late to get any of the Dizzy Pig Rubs, get some of Emeril's Essence/
  • Harris Buck
    Options
    I have the Dizzy....no problem. Would you suggest doing the rub the night before?

Also any idea on the time with such a small roast?

Thanks!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    250 dome for me with just a empty drip pan or drip foil setting on the platesetter. I always rub it down and put it back in fridge for an hour or so whil I get the egg going. Good luck.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Take it out of the fridge about an hour before starting the fire... let it come up to room temp so it doesn't drop the Egg temp. Makes stabilizing the Egg at 225º to 250º a lot faster process.

Cook till internal temp is 195º then remove and wrap in foil and place in small cooler covered in towels for 2 hours then shred or pull...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    as always 1-2 hours per pound. Dizzy Dust is good.

Just use the time as a guideline. Cook to temp. 195 internal.

No need to rub it up any time than just before you stick them in the cooker. No need to keep them out of the refrigerator any length of time.

The egg will come back up to temp all by itself with-in 15-20 minutes. Just make sure you DO NOT touch the vents once the egg is stabilized. Put the meat in, shut the lid, and go back inside.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I always keep my meat as cold as possible before putting on the egg. It's suppose to make for a deeper smoke ring.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    That it does. The longer the meat takes to get to 140 or so the deeper the smoke ring.