Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to shut down the Egg properly

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I am about to use the Egg for the first time, have listened to lots of advice on starting the coals, right temp.etc. Lets say I get the temp. to where I want, do the steaks and now want to shut down the grill to save as much coals as possible. Should I just go and close down both dampers at once and completely shut off the air supply or should I bring the temp. down slowly and then close off the air supply. I don't want to blow up the grill on the first day.

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    JY,
    Just shut her down good and tight. I have not had one take off on me yet ;) It will snuff itself out pretty quick. Welcome to the wonderful world of egging.
    Seth

• StumpBaby
    Options
    JY,[p]Close it down right away..the egg is impervious. Close the bottom damper completely..and put the ceramic rain cap on the top...then let it be...don't open it up for a while..or you might get a flashback ..and singe either your chin hairs..or your tongue hairs(like my momma did last spring). I just close the daisy wheel..but some folks claim that it's not airtight enough (maybe mine is airtite enough cause I smoke a lot of stuff with cheeze whiz on it..and all kinds of great smoke bellows out the top..leaving behind a nice layer of gunk on the daisywheel).[p]Hope this helps..it's not often I get too post helpul info.[p]StumpBaby

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    JY,[p]Yup, close the bottom vent up tight, and put on the rain cap. It took me a couple of weeks after I first got my egg to figure out what the rain cap was for, because it doesn't rain where I live.[p]I also took someone's advice, and used some extra felt gasket material cut in half lengthwise, and used it to make a gasket inside the rain cap. Don't know if this is really necessary, but it makes a nice cushion when I put the rain cap on, and also makes a nice tight seal to snuff the fire quickly.[p]Chuck
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    fl3.jpg
    <p />JY,
    As a new user, you might be interested in reading my web page about flashback. No sense in you losing your arm hair and eyebrows if you don't have to....[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Web Site[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz