Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flanks, flaps, tritips and hangars

Options
Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And don't forget flat irons. Anyone have a good description of all of these cuts and how we cook them on the egg? I had a horrible experience going after flap steak after that glorious meat Little Steven served us a Nieggara. That left me looking for an alternate, I ended up with flank for the similar texture, but I have no experience with the other cuts.

Doug

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Is flap the same as a skirt steak?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    As I understand it the flap is in-between the tri tip and the flank down there in the bottom sirloin. Not that my butch would know :angry:.

Doug
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Doug...May be more than you wanted to hear.... :laugh:
    Pretty much every steak you named is a particular muscle isolated within the primal. Also, any guideline I provide is based on how we like our steaks, which is med rare....

Flank Steak....From the flank, or rear belly section just before the rear legs. Can marinate, or not. Sear direct...pull at 120-122, tent with foil, let rest at least 5 minutes, cut on the bias, against the grain.

Flap and Tri-tip....Both from the sirloin primal, upper part of the animal, directly behind the loin, and before the round. Because these tend to be rather thick, I generally sear low in the egg, then raise the grid to finish and roast. Again, I pull at 120-122*...tent with foil.. the carryover and rest will bring the meat to 126-130*.

Hangar Steak...aka Hanging tender or butchers steak...from the plate....Lower part of the animal just behind the brisket. The hangar has a DISTINCT tendon running nearly through the middle. The can be removed before, or after cooking. If removed before, you will end up with two pices of beef resembling small pork tenderloins. I cook like the Tri Tip...sear low...raise grid to finish. (Note...absorbs marinades VERY quickly! I marinate in a good red wine, garlic, salt and pepper for 30 minutes).

Flat Irons...(aka Top Blade Steak)...From the chuck....Upper shoulder of the animal directly behind the head. Relatively thin, like the flank steak. Marinate, and can tollerate relatively long marinade times. Sear direct low in the egg for a nice sear.... pull at 120*....tent with foil while resting... will carryover to 125-128*. Cut against the grain, thin slices on the bias.

You didn't mention it...but while I am on it....
    Skirt Steak....aka Fajita...From the flank section. This is actually the diaphragm of the animal. Absorbs marinades very quickly. Sear direct....pull at rare.... If this cut goes beyond medium, you may as well grill your shoe. ;)

Also note, particularly the flank and skirt steaks, are great rolled and stuffed. The flank needs to be butterflied and pounded first....but great for rolling and stuffing. :)

Hope this helps!! Here is the best link I could find for beef ID.....but I think it a very good one!
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm

Keep on Eggin'! :laugh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The combination of texture and flavor makes flatiron my personal favorite if I am going to slice the steak, but I have never had a chance to try the tri-tip.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Little Chef - That was an awesome summary, very helpful indeed. I just copied and pasted that into my Egg Notes, hope you don't mind.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    That is a perfect summary and ranks right up there with the Grampa Grub links for newbies in terms of quality of information. :woohoo: :kiss:

Thanks

Doug
  • Desert Filly
    Options
    Doug...for the flap meat....out butcher told us to do nothing but salt and pepper....and cook well done. It's really a tender piece of meat. Lately, we've been able to buy it Kobe. Fork tender...well done.

The Filly
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

I'll talk to my butcher and see if he ordered it by a different name or something.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks Little Chef for that very informative summary. I too am going to save for future reference.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Wow LC,,, you've been studying :blink: :laugh: Great info and I'm gonna bookmark this. Thanks for putting all the info in one place ;)
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thanks LC... I had no idea about the different cuts of meat and which one would take more marinade vs the other....

I have saved this to my favorites...

Thanks for taking the time to explain this... :)
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great information there... :)