Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To marinade or not

Options
Whipstock
Whipstock Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Fellow Eggers,
I am doing my 8th pork butt, but the first for a family get together this weekend. This time I'm doing a double to get enough eats. I've done both injected with marinade and then rubbed and also just rubbed. First few were pretty dry, but had a good taste, getting better results the last few, knock on wood , as it were. Rather liked the marinade, but wanted to get the forum' point of view and favorite marinades, if that was your preference.
Thanks,
JW

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    No need to marinade. Just a slather of mustard and dry rub.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I've injected and not injected and they are both good. Really good. Honestly, I'm not sure it makes a difference since I've never made a bad butt on the Egg.

In any case, I generally inject them with a mixture of Pineapple juice, Maple syrup, bourbon and a bit of worsteshire.. (I buy those 8oz cans of pineapple juice just for these occasions!!).

To me the strange part is that you are getting dry pork butt. Honestly, that's never happened to me. In terms of importance the keys to me are: cooking indirect , keeiping good track of egg/dome temp (~250), and keeping good track of internal temp (cook to 200*). In my opinion, after you go through the plateau (165-170) you can raise the egg temp )275-300).
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I marinade a lot, but I’ve never injected nor done a marinade for a Butt….Just done as cookn biker does.
    However, it is key to keep a lower temp. and cook /roast indirect.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I inject w/rum,honey,worsh,and brown suger-do't know if it helps but it is an excuse to open the rum.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I lie your reasoning :P
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    rsmdale wrote:
    I inject w/rum,honey,worsh,and brown suger-do't know if it helps but it is an excuse to open the rum.

I normally just use mustard and rub, but that sounds like a good mix to try.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I did some experimenting on this very question back here.

I used Dr. BBQ's injection recipe, which includes pineapple juice, apple juice, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire, soy sauce, Tabasco and dry mustard.

My conclusion was that injected butts don't taste better or worse, just different.

My advice would be to figure out why your pulled pork is dry, because that shouldn't be happening. If you have some other fundamental problem with the cooking process, that needs to be fixed before you complicate the process by adding more ingredients and more steps into your workflow.

Of course, my advice and 4 quarters will buy you a USA Today. ;)
  • Whipstock
    Options
    Thanks everyone, did as Cookin Biker suggested and they turned out great!