Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Butts

Options
Big-R
Big-R Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heeere's a little know fact for ya.......[p]Maybe you all knew it all along but I just learned it. You can freeze a cooked butt and server it way later. My mother baught a butt from her church (left over from a bbq fund raiser), froze it to server to the family masses over Thanksgiving as lunch food. She asked how to serve it, what to do, etc. Told her to wrap tightly in foil and place in a 200 degree oven for a while to warm it. 5 hours later, she pulled it out and left if for the extended family to arrive.[p]Skeptical, I commenced to "pulling" that warm butt. It was wonderful, easy to pull, great tasting, moist, good smoke flavor.[p]So, if'n you doing one, maybe you do two and freeze one whole for later. Just thought you all might want to know.......[p]Randy

Comments

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    Big-R,[p]I have dicovered this too. The last couple of times that we cooked butts, we cooked two, and wrapped one of them in foil, foodsaved it, and froze it. After thawing (haven't tried to cook a frozen one), I cooked them for an hour in the foil, and then an hour not in foil, indirect at about 250. [p]The last time, I brought the small to work, and we had a small potluck BBQ for lunch. Yummy.[p]I am at work right now, with the mini fired up outside, with some hot dogs on it. Don't tell Qbabe.
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,[p]You're a bum...! And, I'm so jealous...![p][p]