Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying my first

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an older mom and do all the grilling in the family. I love to grill but I absolutely cannot stand using a gas grill one more min. I've read the forums on 1st timers which are very helpful. My dilema is this: if my husband were there griller, I'm sure we'd have an egg by now. However, he is not, and I'm challenged with convincing him that this is the way to go vs. a weber charcoal (price). There are 4 of us and we entertain 8-15ish casually here and there. I've never used one before and I like to keep it simple. I cannot decide between small and Medium...

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you can afford it, without question, get the large. Otherwise the Medium. (you will probably end up with a large anyway).

There is just my wife and I. Once a month the kids & spouces come over and bring the grandchildren. 26 in all.

The large works great for the wife and I as well as the whole gang. I started out with the large and during the following 3 years I added the medium, small and mini.

Doing it all over again, I would get a large and mini. However, the medium will work for your stated needs. More grill space is always nice.

There are so many advantages with the egg over the weber. With the egg you won't have to buy another grill/smoker it has a life time warranty. Remember I said have to I didn't say want to. And, there is the forum. However, the advantages go on and on.

Go to an egg dealer when they are doing a demo and taste some of the food, look at the way it cooks. That will answer the underlying questions of which brand to buy.

GG
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As far as the size goes, I wouldn't start with a small, start with something you can fit at least 3 racks of ribs on. If you don't currently BBQ ribs on the grill, you will when you get the Egg. I think a large is best, but I've never used a Medium so I can't comment on whether a Medium would be best for you, but maybe it would.

You should get a lot of responses but I'll throw a few comments:

It costs a lot, but it is a lifetime investment. Comes with a lifetime warrantee and a support network like nothing else anywhere. The initial cost is an obstacle, but over time it proves to be negligible for the use you get out of it.

This cooker is different than a weber kettle in that it is more versatile, it can be used in ALL kinds of weather without any adverse effects, and it tends to cook the meat in a way that retains moisture. Also, you use lump for fuel, not briquettes and lump can be reused until it's ash or too small to bother with.

You can easily cook out year round. I live in new england and cook out several times a week through the winter. In the summer when it's too hot in the house to use the oven, you can cook everything and anything outside. You can cook outside with any grill but with this one you can cook anything! You can grill meats at high temps, BBQ at low temps, smoke or no smoke, bake pizzas, breads, pies and with the addition of a "spider" you can use a wok on it as well. I look back on my other grills as just heating food up to eat.

I have found one significant difference between the Egg and other griils is that a BGE functions as a major appliance. I use it more than the stove or oven.

Also, your husband may find he would like to try cooking on this.

good luck!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Ditto, minus the grandkids! :)
  • BayouMark
    Options
    Welcome to the party. Let me echo previous posts and tell you the large is the way to go. Once a month for a large group my turn into more gatherings and you will need the cooking capacity. With a large you can do a couple of butts and then cook abt's just prior to eating. The possibilities are limitless.
    I have owned some highend gassers in my time and nothing come close to the egg. Moister food with almost a set it and for get operation. You will taste chicken that is juicy and not rubber skinned. Steaks, chops, etc will be juicy and exploding with flavor. And finally, you will be able to draw from fabulous knowledge base of the forum. Sorry for being so windy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I spent about 2 years convincing myself that I should spend the money on an Egg. During that time, I used a Brinkman vertical smoker, which is similar to a Weber Smoky Mountain, but a good bit cheaper. Tho' the results were passable, it was clear that the design was far from perfect. Used lots of fuel. Not good at all in cold weather. Rusted.

The medium Egg I bought was a revelation. During the summer, it is a complete replacement for the stove for everything except boiling water. Spring and fall are not much different. Winter is a delight. If I can get myself to face zero degree weather, I can have succulent pulled pork in the middle of January.

When I got my medium, we had three kids in the house. It was an adequate size, but too small for larger parties. I got another medium a few years later. With the kids out of the house, I can fuel both on the weekend, and with some lump stirring, can cook everyday of the week.

Oh, and the food is luscious, scrumptious, and delish. You will have to learn portion control. :lol:
  • James MB
    Options
    Just to throw some confusion into the mix:

1. Eggs are expensive, I can't believe it would happen but if you regretted a purchase I'm sure you could easily recoup at least 50% but bettre still talk to your dealer about that they might have an option for you.

2. Eventually you will want a large and a small but a large and a med is probably cool too. I have a medium and love it - but I would like to end up with a large and a small (grass greener etc) (oh and perhaps a med too...)

In coclusion I'd say you would be good with either size because you are likely to want to add a large
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I live by myself, have a small and love it but I don't think it would be big enough for your needs. I can cook a 7# pork butt and feed 15 people but my menu is going to fairly limited for entertaining. I have a medium at the ranch and regularly cook for 4 to 6 people. I will purchase a large when I start entertaining.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The Medium is a serious machine. I dont have one but have used one many times. That being said, get the Large becuase it's even better.
  • brklynbbq
    Options
    I agree with everyone's answer. It is an investment, but it's the best you'll make for any grill. I would take it over any of those outdoor kitchen monsters you see in the hardware stores anyday. A weber is great, but doesn't compare. I kept mine for a year thinking I'd use them side by side... I just sold it at a garage sale for $20. It is worth it's weight in gold.
    My father in-law came to visit, we cooked ribs, a chicken, and steaks on the egg and he bought a large the day after he got home.

I have a family of three, and we too entertain a lot- partially because our friends demand we cook for them on the egg- and we have a medium. If I were to do it over, I think I'd go for the large, even though I have to wheel it from the garage to the front yard every time I use it. The medium is fine, and great, the large would just be more versatile for more people.
    It's ok, when I have room, I'll just have both!

My fathers day gift this year was to sleep in, and have an uninterrupted day with the egg. It really is a level all it's own.

Happy egging!
    let us know what you decide

a
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    The Large is the best all around Egg in my opinion. You can't go wrong with it. Pricey, but as mentioned it will last a lifetime and then be bequeathed to the next generation. You can always add a Small or Medium later to complement. I have a Large and Medium and love them both.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I have had a large for 3 years and there is just the 2 of us 95% of the time. I recently added a small which has been great when cooking items requiring different temp. If you think you will do any long, slow cooks, I think the large has the advantage in that area. It also seems to have more accessories.

Either way you go, you will be rid of the gasser and cook MUCH better meals than you can churn out on the Weber - IMHO. :)
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    I think the Egg is less expensive than a Weber.
    First over the years you will go through many Weber grills as they rust out. Second the amount of fuel (lump vs charcoal briquettes) will be less as the egg burns more efficiently. The finished product, the food, is so much better tasting everyone will know you are a great cook. Sure the day-one cost is a more but ask yourself do you want to save a buck and have mediocre meals or inveat in something so much better…
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL been there done that. Hubby was not impressed with me at all......6 years later we have 7 of them :blush: if the biggest that you can do right now is the med go for it. the large is wonderful for so many reasons but we cook about 85% of our meals on the mini. get the pizza stone and the woo for it. You can cook anything from a great pizza to a pork butt. Lots of lady grillers and bakers on here so come join the fun :) Julie
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    If I was in your situation heres what I would do.
    1. Buy the large for the situation you described the large will comfortably do what you want and more.
    2. Take your husband to an eggfest, if he requires more convincing than eggfest food you are in trouble.
    3. Research demo/slightly used eggs from an eggfest, dealers usually sell these eggs at a discount with things like the nest (stand) included.
    Good luck.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    A couple weeks before Tksgiving 3yrs ago I went to the BBQ store to buy a Weber replacement (the 3rd one I replaced) so I could smoke my annual Tksgiving turkey. Long story short, I came back with a BGE. I apologized to my wife, apologized again, and again I think... Then I cooked a turkey just to show how it worked - best turkey we ever had. Two/three Wks later I cooked a better one on Tksgiving. Bottom line before New Year we had all sorts of stuff with rave reviews pork butt, Prime Rib on Xmas eve, another turkey on xmas day, steaks, Chickens, wings, etc.. No apologies going on by the end of Nov..

Three years later I have approval to buy my second egg (another Lg) that I reserved for pick up after Eggtoberfest.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I have a Large, so let me state my bias in favor of that size up front.

I agree with other commenters that the Large is the unit to buy. Yes, it's more expensive than the Medium or Small, but it will be more accommodating for your group dinners and, because it's the most commonly-sold Egg, there is a host of accessories you can get for it that are not available for the smaller units.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    If you can, get the large, when I got mine the price difference was about $75, (that was about 2001) I didn't want to go that high but felt the small was too small at the time so went with the large, I still don't regret it.

I now have a Mini,Sm,Med & Lg....................And I'm only one person. Go figure, I'm a kook. :whistle:

Best of luck to ya,
    Bordello
  • zamo
    zamo Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, a consensus. LARGE it is! Thanks for making my decision easy. I was prepared to have to mull this over. I don't think I can wait for an eggfest to convince my hubby. After all, he did just buy a kayak...I can't wait to try my grandmother's BBQ chiken, not like any BBQ you've ever had (I promise) and it is the moistest, yummy chicken! Wish me luck. Mom the griller
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't forget to post the pics and recipe!

If he just bought a kayak, you can buy a large!
    - You will get more use out of the Egg than the kayak.
    - The Egg costs less.
    - When you use the Egg, the whole family benefits.. - - How many benefit when hubby is using the Kayak?
    - Kayaks don't have a lot of moving parts, but the Egg should still outlast it. I'm sure it has a better warrantee.

Good luck aned we shall look forward to seeing you posting your first pics soon! (To post pics, you need to have them on Photobucket. It's free. - http://photobucket.com/ )