Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BBQ Sauce Party - Favorite Sauce

B & CB & C Posts: 217
edited 4:32AM in EggHead Forum
I am interested in knowing what is everyone's favorite BBQ sauce that is commercially available and their favorite BBQ sauce specialty order. I am looking to have a BBQ sauce party in the near future for many of the other instructors at the college where I am teaching. I am going to send invitations with the instructions that each person is to bring their favorite. I know that some will probably have a hard time making a selection so I want to have a few suggestions in my pocket.

Thanks,
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    For pulled pork: Maurice's Original
    http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

For ribs: Blues Hog Original

For chicken: we make our own B)
    ·
  • B & C,

Sweet Baby Ray's -- Ribs

Charlie Mills Famous
    ( Eastern NC vinegar based ) -- Butt

Homemade -- Chicken
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Blues Hog for ribs and chicken, for pulled pork I use this western Carolina recipe. -RP

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    Sweet Baby Ray's on chicken
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Hollman's - out of Nebraska
    ·
  • Cattleman's original for beef

KC Masterpiece Sweet and Tangy for pork

Chicken I just wing it :P
    ·
  • B & CB & C Posts: 217
    You must be living in Nebraska, right?
    ·
    Thank you for your reply Kim, care to share your recipe for chicken BBQ sauce? You can email it to me privately, I won't tell a soul. ;) Especially Doug, :laugh:
    ·
    Randy, am interested in trying your western carolina recipe, how much does this make?
    Thanks,
    ·
  • Head Country BBQ sauce (Hickory) and their rub is all I use as well - Ponca City, Ok
    ·
    Thanks for your reply Billy, would you care to share your recipe for chicken BBQ sauce? You can email it to me privately, I won't tell a soul. ;)
    ·
  • Carnivore...chipotle, or hotter.
    ·
    Mickey, I see you post every so often and I always wanted to know where is Salado, Texas?
    ·
  • Nope - Illinois, but I order it online unless I can find it in my travels! Email address is info@hollmans.com - nice family owned operation!
    ·
  • Website is www.hollmans.com
    ·
    I already have some Carnivore sweet and chipotle. It is extra good.
    ·
    Where is this made? Can you describe it?
    ·
  • Blue's Hog is fantastic as well as Sweet Baby Ray's for ribs.
    Pulled pork we like Blue's Hog Tennesse Red Sauce or something similar that is vinegar based.
    Chicken = Carnivore Robust.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    A little over 2 qts. -RP
    ·
    I have some of the Cattleman's that I got at "Memphis in May" (they were a sponsor), Have you tried Cattleman's "Gold"? I haven't tried the KC Masterpiece "Sweet and Tangy" yet.
    Thanks,
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,557
    I too like Blue's products but of late I've taken a real hankering to Sticky Pig which is quite similar to Blues's however Sticky's Jalapeno is a blast that sits on top of the heap IMHO!
    IMG_0343.jpg

Here's their site:
    http://www.stickypigbbq.com/othersauces.htm
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Head Country.........nuff said :whistle:
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,514
    For commercial, Open Pit Hickory, although if I can't find it, Sweet Baby Rays.

Special order, Blues Hog Tennessee Red for PP, for other things, especially beef, The Slab's Kyle Style.
    ·
  • It is made in Ponca City, Ok. Really good sauce, not too sweet, good hickory flavor, they have a hot and regular version as well, I just perfer the hickory. they have a "Championship Rub" that is very good as well. you can buy from their website.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Commercially available-Blues Hog TN Red or Cattleman's Gold-Depending on if I want vinegar or sweet for pulled pork.

Specialty order-Carnivore Robust

Beef-Cattleman's Steakhouse hands down!

NOTE-Not sure BHTNR is commercially available everywhere.It is here.
    :) Sounds like a great idea for a party! ;)
    ·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    We can't get Blues Hog here. I've never tried it. :(
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    The original is really sweet.The TN Red is a spicey vinegar based one.I have your address.I think I can aleviate that problem. ;) BTW,you have mail. :woohoo:
    ·
  • I like Sweet Baby Ray's honey sauce on ribs and my wife likes Head Country. I've yet to try Big Un's Carnivore sauce but I will soon.

Also, I had a customer out of Kansas bring me a bottle of Big Rick's spicey sauce and I love it! Great on pulled pork if you like heat.

BD
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    Bill, Salado is on I35 between Austin and Waco (45 miles from both). It is about 25 miles from Fort Hood.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,970
    Morning Bill:

It's been so long since I have bought a sauce, that I really don't know. My favorite is one I make that is a variation from one I got here that was listed as "JJ's Sauce" when I first found it about 6 years ago. Since I have been making it (probably 5+ years now), I haven't bought a sauce "off the shelf". I have tried Blues Hog and Carnivore, but still prefer my own.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

·