Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BBQ Sauce Party - Favorite Sauce

B & CB & C Posts: 217
edited 1:10PM in EggHead Forum
I am interested in knowing what is everyone's favorite BBQ sauce that is commercially available and their favorite BBQ sauce specialty order. I am looking to have a BBQ sauce party in the near future for many of the other instructors at the college where I am teaching. I am going to send invitations with the instructions that each person is to bring their favorite. I know that some will probably have a hard time making a selection so I want to have a few suggestions in my pocket.

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    For pulled pork: Maurice's Original

For ribs: Blues Hog Original

For chicken: we make our own B)
  • B & C,

Sweet Baby Ray's -- Ribs

Charlie Mills Famous
    ( Eastern NC vinegar based ) -- Butt

Homemade -- Chicken
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Blues Hog for ribs and chicken, for pulled pork I use this western Carolina recipe. -RP

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,660
    Sweet Baby Ray's on chicken
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Hollman's - out of Nebraska
  • Cattleman's original for beef

KC Masterpiece Sweet and Tangy for pork

Chicken I just wing it :P
  • B & CB & C Posts: 217
    You must be living in Nebraska, right?
    Thank you for your reply Kim, care to share your recipe for chicken BBQ sauce? You can email it to me privately, I won't tell a soul. ;) Especially Doug, :laugh:
    Randy, am interested in trying your western carolina recipe, how much does this make?
  • Head Country BBQ sauce (Hickory) and their rub is all I use as well - Ponca City, Ok
    Thanks for your reply Billy, would you care to share your recipe for chicken BBQ sauce? You can email it to me privately, I won't tell a soul. ;)
  • Carnivore...chipotle, or hotter.
    Mickey, I see you post every so often and I always wanted to know where is Salado, Texas?
  • Nope - Illinois, but I order it online unless I can find it in my travels! Email address is - nice family owned operation!
  • Website is
    I already have some Carnivore sweet and chipotle. It is extra good.
    Where is this made? Can you describe it?
  • Blue's Hog is fantastic as well as Sweet Baby Ray's for ribs.
    Pulled pork we like Blue's Hog Tennesse Red Sauce or something similar that is vinegar based.
    Chicken = Carnivore Robust.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    A little over 2 qts. -RP
    I have some of the Cattleman's that I got at "Memphis in May" (they were a sponsor), Have you tried Cattleman's "Gold"? I haven't tried the KC Masterpiece "Sweet and Tangy" yet.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,801
    I too like Blue's products but of late I've taken a real hankering to Sticky Pig which is quite similar to Blues's however Sticky's Jalapeno is a blast that sits on top of the heap IMHO!

Here's their site:
    Dunlap, IL
  • Head Country.........nuff said :whistle:
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,776
    For commercial, Open Pit Hickory, although if I can't find it, Sweet Baby Rays.

Special order, Blues Hog Tennessee Red for PP, for other things, especially beef, The Slab's Kyle Style.
  • It is made in Ponca City, Ok. Really good sauce, not too sweet, good hickory flavor, they have a hot and regular version as well, I just perfer the hickory. they have a "Championship Rub" that is very good as well. you can buy from their website.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Commercially available-Blues Hog TN Red or Cattleman's Gold-Depending on if I want vinegar or sweet for pulled pork.

Specialty order-Carnivore Robust

Beef-Cattleman's Steakhouse hands down!

NOTE-Not sure BHTNR is commercially available everywhere.It is here.
    :) Sounds like a great idea for a party! ;)
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    We can't get Blues Hog here. I've never tried it. :(
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    The original is really sweet.The TN Red is a spicey vinegar based one.I have your address.I think I can aleviate that problem. ;) BTW,you have mail. :woohoo:
  • I like Sweet Baby Ray's honey sauce on ribs and my wife likes Head Country. I've yet to try Big Un's Carnivore sauce but I will soon.

Also, I had a customer out of Kansas bring me a bottle of Big Rick's spicey sauce and I love it! Great on pulled pork if you like heat.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,660
    Bill, Salado is on I35 between Austin and Waco (45 miles from both). It is about 25 miles from Fort Hood.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• SSN686SSN686 Posts: 3,011
    Morning Bill:

It's been so long since I have bought a sauce, that I really don't know. My favorite is one I make that is a variation from one I got here that was listed as "JJ's Sauce" when I first found it about 6 years ago. Since I have been making it (probably 5+ years now), I haven't bought a sauce "off the shelf". I have tried Blues Hog and Carnivore, but still prefer my own.

Have a GREAT day!

Brandon, FL