Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey

Options
r_mewhort
r_mewhort Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All

Just did my first turkey 11 lbs in a LBGE and it llooks good. Sheryl made our standard bread stuffing and we cooked it at 315 - 335. Started at 1:00 and took it off at 5:15 basting every half hour. We cooked it indirect with the Drip pan on the plate setter and the v-rack directy in it. Added potatoes at 4:00 and finished potatoes while turkey was cooling. While setting up the inital temp I smoked the neck and gizzards for the gravy. Turkey was smoked with maple and apple blend of chips.

Having greek salad with tomatoes and cukes from the garden, and garden peason the side.

IMG_6192.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    nice color on the bird, I haven't done a stuffed one on the egg. Did the stuffing pick up a lot of smoke? Too much was always my concern.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW! Great looking bird!
    Did you do put anything on the skin before the grilling started?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) don't let the neighbors see that or you may be Egging Thanksgiving Big Birds for the whole block :silly: Nice cook, both of you.
  • r_mewhort
    Options
    @Pat the stuffing didn't pick up too much of the smoke flavor in fact while eating it we were debating next time giving the stuffed bird 4-6 hours of cold smoking the day prior. But I suspect that is also a mater of taste.

@loco_engr No we didn't use anything on the skin but breast dried out marganaly so next time we will put bacon strips under the breast skin. We debated doing this at the start and decided not too.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I would say you done a fabulous job!! Welcome. What was your method, temp, ect? Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Great looking cook Bro. I'm still thinking I'll spatchcock my turkey this year but that sure looks good.

Doug
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Nice lookin bird! ;)

Color is just awesome.
  • r_mewhort
    Options
    @cookn biker

Stuffed turkey with bread stuffing.

Set up egg with plate setter feet up.
    Drip tray with rack for potatoes and V-rack for turkey. (See Pic)

While Stablizing the egg to 325 I smoked the neck and gizzards in maple smoke for about 45 min temp started at about 200 and went to about 350 before stablizing temp back at 325.

Took neck and gizzards off and took them inside to boil for gavey stock.

I put the turkey on the egg at 1:00 and put on some more maple chips under the platesetter and cooked closed until 3:00 and then started basting every 20-30 min checking Birds temp from 4:00 on and adding wood chips(Maple and Apple). Pulled bird at thigh temp of 165 (5:15). Brought bird inside to sit took potatoes back out to egg put grill on and brought temp up to 390-400 cooked them 30 min more.

Ray
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Great looking cook.
    Can't wait for the holidays to stock up on cheap turkey. I am out and cheap ones are hard to find.