Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to do some Memphis style dry ribs

Options
ckillian
ckillian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to do some baby back ribs. I'm attempting to get as close as possible to Rendezvous/Corky's style dry ribs as possible.

My plan is 3/1/1 using apple juice and maybe vinegar in the foil. Then doing the final hour without adding sauce.

Two questions:

How much liquid do I put in the foil? I'm thinking about half a cup or so, but I'm not sure.

I'm not using a rib rack. Is it necessary to flip the ribs during the 3 hours indirect? I don't see why that would be necessary, but I still read about people doing just that.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    1/4 cup is plenty.Make sure they are bone side up when they are in the foil.No need to flip. ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    UltimateThrowdownC3jpgbbbbbb.jpg

These are Memphis style 3-1 BB ribs. I turn only once. When I go to the foil, I add about an ounce of liquid and place the meat side down.

UltimateThrowdownA.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ckillian
    Options
    Thirdeye,

You said they're 3/1 ribs. Does that mean that they're done after the one hour in the foil? You don't put them back on the egg for the last hour?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm just down the road from you and I'm cooking a rack of BB's using Rick's Tropical Delight's recipe: Rub 'em with a good rub, put 'em on the Egg indirect @ 225° for six hours and don't mess with 'em.

Never done 'em this way before but Rick cooks stuff good enough to make your tongue slap your brains out.

I'm using my BBQ Guru to watch things while I take a nap.

Let us know how yours turn out (pictures too if you can)

Spring "My Rib Bone Is Connected To A Pillow" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention the Apple wood chips. Handfull of them too.

Spring "Dead Wood Makes For Good Dead Meat" Chicken
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    If you want to replicate Rendezvius (and do it right), do you ribs durect and leave the membranes on. Get them as high in the dome as you can. Their ribs have a little more bite to them and are not fall off the bone tender.

Pull the ribs and apply a clear lite vinegar type mop. Sprinkle with something like blues hog rub or coarse rub. cut and serve
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Leroy, Rendezvous dry rub ribs are done over direct charcoal and not indirect. They are a bit chewier and very heavy on the dry rub at the end.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    You sure can if you want to. I generally open the foil, turn the ribs over and place on the cutting board to rest a few minutes before slicing.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Rendezvous ribs are done direct with no foiling step. No need to add liquid. Just a dry rub in the beginning and light mop and rub at the end.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Are those the same cats that will FedEx 4 racks to you for smething like $175 ?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    We were hungry so we took 'em off an hour ahead of time but most were fall off the bone tender and very tasty. I almost forgot to take a photo.

RibsusingRicksrecipe9-6-09.jpg

Neither one of us are strong pork rib fans, preferring instead some good beef ribs. Only I haven't mastered beef ribs on the Egg yet. No hurry, I've got other dishes to practice on and the rest of my life to do it.

My neighbor is cooking ribs tomorrow. He does a good job at it too, especially for a newbie.

Spring "Rib Bone Soon To Be Connected To The Trash Can Bone" Chicken
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    They look good Leroy. They are wet ribs and hence are not Rendezvous style. :(

But, I would definitely chow down on them. Maybe I need to make an authentic dry rib at one of these fests
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Only if you promise to do cornbread too....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    HI Thirdeye

I have seen a ton of pics on ribs since I have been on forum. I honestly think these pics you have on your ribs
    are as perfect looking rib as I have ever seen, bar none. With a slight glaze of sauce on them, WOW
    You can cook for me anytime, LOL BullyC

PS Is this method on your web-site? Would love to have it. Thanks
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    We were hungry so we took 'em off an hour ahead of time but most were fall off the bone tender and very tasty. I almost forgot to take a photo.

RibsusingRicksrecipe9-6-09.jpg
    Even though you're not a pork rib fan, what did you think of this method ... will you do this again?

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, I think so. But I'll ride it out the entire six hours next time. I have to say it's one of the easiest cooks I've done. Basically, just put 'em on and come back when you're hungry.

Spring "Easy Does It" Chicken
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am doing cornbread in Atlanta. Are you coming?

btw, remember the bbq chicken nachos from last year. They were done Rednezvous style (the same as the ribs being asked about) I will have extra rub for the nachos and could do ribs easily.