Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey: Brine, Inject, or nothing?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first turkey on the egg this year and am wondering about brining, injecting, or just season and cook cook the sucker.[p]What the consensus here?[p]Thanks[p]Don

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DonH,
    My vote....Brine and then season with a seasonong that is light in salt. Brining is a good step to brighten the flavor and keep the meat more moist. It will give you a little extra protection against the breast drying out if it goes over 165.[p]Injecting will be uneven and will leave streaks, but you can get some purty good flavors in there if you go that way.[p]Just seasoning and cooking will get you a good bird too. So you really can't go horribly wrong whatever you do.[p]Simply one view from over here in Virginny.
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Good morning Don, I have not cooked many a turkeys on the BGE, but I did have really good success when..............
    I brined
    I spatchcocked
    I cooked indirect for 5.5 hours ( 13 pounder)
    chunk of mesquite and a few pieces of pecan
    Happy Thanksgiving

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Wil,
    Just wondering, you don't find that the mesquite is too strong a smoke for turkey? I'd be askeered to use the stuff on poultry because it was so strong on pork when I tried it. [p]beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree with you totally Chris if using 3 or 4 chunks of mesquite but all I used was 1 chunk and added the pecan, probably equal to 2 fist sized chunks, I think the pecan diffused the mesquite somewhat, hence just a mild mesquite background but helped more so in the coloring of the bird.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    i know i keep saying this, but the absolute best way to insure a moist breast that is done at the same time as the thighs, is to but a gallon bag of ice cubes on top of the breasts for 20 minutes prior to the start of cooking. . .it lowers the breast temps to a point that it will take them hours of slo roasting to catch up to the thighs. . . i have been doing this for close to ten years now with great success. ..

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Innarestin. Was just talking with WooDoggies, and we theorized that mesquite is kind of a regional acquired taste as well. I think yall down in the deep south are pretty accustomed to the distinct strong flavor it has.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That is a great tip, and not one I have heard except from you. Makes total sense.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    hehehehe, if you think our smoked meats are strong, you oughtta try our coffee :~)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    a simple tip from a simple man. . :-)[p]btw. . i love all the recipes you are cranking into the dizzypig site. . ..my only problem this time of year, is that i'm primarily cooking in the dark (really exciting when you get backflash after sundown), so its hard to do the pictorials. ..but i will get you more one of these days. .

• Chef Wil
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    using the ice method, is it for lo-slo turkey or higher temps like 350-375 ?
    Years ago at a workshop, Chef Paul Prudhomme showed me side by side about cooking turkeys
    lo-slo = juicy turkey
    roasting pan was litterly dry after cooking, juices stayed in the bird.......higher temp (350) and the pan had almost a 1/2 gal of juices in the pan. Being the BGE is often referred to as an oven, I have done both methods, the results were really close being the most important factor was not to over cook the breast. So as for the ice, I say you have a WINNER. Thanks.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    WingsAlmostDone.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    Ahhh, might as well get used to shooting at night. Purty soon it'll be dark at 4:30.[p]That little $200 Canon A-60 I have does a real nice job with flash exposures. Colors are real warm and accurate. This is a 2 megapixel deal, but they have a 3 and a 4MP available that is basically the same cool camera. I love this little camera. Now if I can just keep it out of the marinade.[p]Heee!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    i can't speak for a real lo and slo. .. this method has served me admirably for 10 years roasting large (20 -25 lbs) birds in the oven at 325 degrees. .and i always end up with a moist breast and with close to a quart of juices (it doesn't hurt that i also douse my bird right before cooking with a half a bottle of white wine). . .[p]i haven't done a turkey in the egg yet, but my plan next week is to do my traditional roasting method but doing it in the egg at 325, over inverted plate setter, in a roasting pan. . . .i'm sure we will all be posting results. ...

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Is the need to brine due to cooking a whole turkey? I've never done a whole bird, just bone in breasts. I don't brine, I just cook at 325-350 until 160. Except for one I let get away they always come out suprisingly juicy.[p]As a side note I usually prefer dark meat, but I really don't think I'll ever do a whole turkey, because the breasts are so good I don't feel any need to change. Though I could see why some would want the presentation of the whole turkey especially for Thanksgiving or holidays.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• a stick
    Options
    DonH,[p]My father (t stick) and I did a trial run last weekend. My dad's the more experienced egger - 5+ years vs. 3+ months.[p]We brined a 13#'er overnight and cooked over lump with 1 - 2 chunks of apple direct @ 325 for 4:45 (20 min per lb). We set it on a ceramic holder (similar to a beer can) filled with Coors, onion, garlic, the nset it all on a disposable aluminum pan. Rubbed with olive oil and a few
    shakes of all-purpose rub.[p]Breast was wonderful and juicy, dark meat to die for. Not much drippings. Ypu can always stock with neck and gizzards like Emeril if you want. For my two cents, you wouldn't disappoint with this bird.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max, my sister has used that method with good results also.. I saw a chef on tv take folded paper towels and soak them in cold water and lie them over the breasts while cooking also.. The cooks Illustrated cook book suggests that just foiling the breasts during roasting, will bring the internals 6 or 7 degrees closer...[p]I read all these things and see all these ideas and wonder how the heck our grandmothers ever cooked a bird...[p]They had no fancy rubs or brines or digital fast read thermometers..[p]They salt and peppered it, stuffed it, and tossed it in the oven.. When the leg wiggled easily they took it out...[p]They had it SOOOOO easy...~~~~~~~~~[p][p]Dylan

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    in the world of simple is best, this is it. . i had tried all the other stuff: roasting breast down, basting through a terry cloth towel laid on the breast (this is actually a pretty good one), foil tents, paper bags, .. ..you get the idea. . .[p]and after 23 straight years of roasting turkey's, the ice bag on the breast is the best one of the bunch, hands down. . .[p]and you are right. ..how did grandma ever get it right???

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Jethro,
    No, there is no need to brine. I just like the additional flavor and mild saltiness deep in the meat. And it does seem to protect the breast from drying IF you happen to miss the "perfectly done" window.[p]No reason to change what is workin ferya!
    Beers, my friend
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Ahhh, I like beers. Haven't had one in a long while. Multiple night time calls from the 9 month old (for about 8.5 months straight) tend make me stay away from beer - though the interest is still there.[p]I was really wondering if there is a real cooking difference tween whole turkeys and the bone in breasts. I think the majority of folks here do whole turkeys brine them. While most of the folks who I've heard of doing the breasts don't. So perhaps difference of the two "cuts"(?) account for the disperity in the cooking prep. methodologies?[p]Have you done both whole and breasts only? I am pretty sure Tim has maybe he'll have some thoughts.[p]Hope you and the ninjas are doing well.[p]
    Beers to those who Sleep,
    Jethro

• ChefFubar
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I read your technique several months ago. Anxious to try it this coming weekend---makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks, ChefFubar

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ChefFubar,
    i don't endorse anything that i don't believe in myself. . .i already have my 'baggie' ready. . . [p]good luck and enjoy. .. .