Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature issues

Options
LONG HUNTER
LONG HUNTER Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes forever (45 minutes to 1 hour) to get the charcoal burning up to 300 degrees temperature, and I'am have trouble getting up to a desired temp of 350 to 400 degrees.

I'm using green egg lump charcoal and have tried all types of firestarters and now am using a MAPPS torch to get the charcoal burning. Generally I light a place in the center and 3 equally spaced areas around the outside of the charcoal.

The air vents are wide open and the steel grate with the holes in the bottom of the burn chamber is open and not blocked with ash or small/fine chunks of charcoal.

The ash containment area is open and not impeding air flow. The charcoal is dry.

Finally have resorted to using a heat gun to get enough air to get everything burning.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing/not doing or what could be the problem??????????

Comments

• EggheadOwl
    Options
    Leaving the lid open?
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I had to change my handle from wannabe since I now cook on a BGE :laugh:
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    Have you taken the fire ring out to make sure no ash is built up behind it? Also, check to be sure the holes are lined up correctly to allow air flow.
  • eggmarc
    Options
    after you light it leave the daisey wheel off and the bottom vent full open and close the lid. First the temp will go way up then go back down. After it goes down it will start to climb back up after maybe 10-15 minutes. As it approaches say 25 degrees below the temp your looking for is when you put the daisey wheel on and start to adjust the bottom vent and the wheel. It takes practice to get the position of the vent and the wheel right.
  • LONG HUNTER
    Options
    I'm leaving the lid up until the charcoal gets going.

I'll tear evrything apart tomprrpw and check for ash build up behing the fire ring and other places.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Rib Bones wrote:
    Have you taken the fire ring out to make sure no ash is built up behind it? Also, check to be sure the holes are lined up correctly to allow air flow.
    What do you mean "Are the holes lined up to allow air flow/ The holes on the firebox???
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    I've had the same problem.I'm using an electric starter.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Sounds like you have small pieces of charcoal clogging the air passages through the main body of charcoal. Try just using the largest chunks of charcoal in the bag and see if that doesn't solve your problem.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Close the lid immediately after you start the lump with the torch. There will be a very good airflow from the wide open bottom vent and the open top vent. It may take 15 - 20 minutes for the dome thermometer to reach 250. It will go up faster after that. Maybe 5 minutes to reach 350, then 3 minutes to reach 450, and just a minute or so to reach 550.

When you leave the lid up, the charcoal is burning hot, but the ceramic is not gathering heat. The heat is just going out into the air. With the dome shut, the heat concentrates, and the whole Egg gathers the heat.
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    Yes...the hole between the legs of the firebox needs to be lined up with the vent door. And the small holes in the firebox get clogged up with small lump and ash.

We took our Egg completely apart and found a considerable amount of ash built up behind the firebox. This solved our heat (or should I say lack of) problem.

Hope this helps!
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    sounds like you might be using the proverbial "two handfuls of lump".

fill the fire box fully, even higher than the joint between the lower fire box and the upper fire ring
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

What size egg are you using?

The formula is easy - Heat = Air + Fuel.

I have had a similar problem with my medium egg, I have now for the most part have gotten around the slow startup and lower temperatures.

Some folks will say to align the fire box opening directly with the lower vent, however, I don't feel that is all that critical other than for cleaning out the ash.

I would think your problem is with the air movement into and up through the lump. A powerful fan through the lower vent is almost useless.

You need to buy or build a wiggle rod - and use it. Thirdeye has some nice the wiggle rods available. A wire hanger does not make a good wiggle rod. If you are forced to use a hanger, straighten the hanger out and fold it in half. Twist the wire to get more strength then bend the end up for the wiggle rod.

Here is something to try. Loose the powerful fan. Pick up a fan something like this.
    fan.jpg

When lighting, use a soft low CFM breeze. This type of fan will assist greatly when using MAPP.

Before using the fan try the following one time.

Load you lump, don't worry about new, old, small or large lump. You don't necessarily to have to worry about cleaning out the entire egg or even cleaning out the ash from the last burn. I only clean out the ash on my large once in every 5 or 6 cooks (always before an overnight or long cook).

Here is what you need to pay attention to. Don't stir the lump up. MAKE SURE you do not have any small pieces of lump blocking any of the fire grate air holes or blocking any of the fire box air holes.

You say you are using MAPP so make an hole of sorts about 1 to 1.5 inches below the lump surface. The width of the hole, not real important about size of a 50¢ piece. Do this at 3, 6, 9 o'clock and center.

Use the MAPP to light down into each of the 4 holes. When those 4 spots are lit close the dome. No DFMT and bottom vent & screen full open.

Watch the thermometer and begin to close the vent and put the DFMT on as you approach your temperature.

Using this method without any fan you should be at temperature up to 450° within 10 to 15 minutes. Lower temperatures in a shorter time.

If you see a low temperature stall or it is taking a long time. Use the wiggle rod to clear the air flow up through the fire grate.

If there is still a stall, then use the soft air flow fan from the top side of the egg, yes dome open.

Just like building a camp fire, find some embers and let the soft flow feed those embers. As the lump burns wider move the fan to the other side of the egg and do the same thing.

When using air flow from the top make sure the best you can to get an even burn over the entire surface of the lump. Should you build a strong burn on the left of the egg, and not the right, obviously you will have created a hot spot.

Long to explain but easy to do.

If you still have problems ping or email me. There are some other things you can do to 'hop' up the egg.

With what I have explained above I have had my stubborn medium up to 700° (with out fan assist) in 11 minutes.

It is a simple matter of air flow up through the lump.

GG
  • gtalvola
    Options
    What GG said is right on. It's all about airflow.

If you have a vertical chicken roaster like one of these:

Vertical-Roasters.gif

then try doing what I do: put the chicken roaster on top of your fire grate, and load the lump around it and on top of it. The chicken roaster keeps an airflow path open through the lump even if you are using small pieces that would ordinarily restrict airflow too much.

I've used this method for probably my last dozen cooks and it works like a champ. Before, I would sometimes have trouble getting up to high temps or would have erratic temperature swings and occasional "puffs" of flame coming out the bottom vent due to restricted airflow with small pieces of lump. With the chicken roaster in place, the lump always heats up quickly and smoothly with no fuss even with small pieces.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Interesting idea, thanks for sharing.

GG