Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No fire ring

Options
Ladlestein
Ladlestein Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice on what to use in place of the fire ring in my large BGE. I can't find it after a recent change of address - horror! - and I am heading off to an event tomorrow. My firebox and grate are just fine. The egg is just fine.

Questions:

- what is the function of the fire ring? I read that it has the effect of keeping the outside of the egg cooler; i.e. it prevents heat from radiating. Is that so?

- how can I jerry-rig a replacement? If I arranged, say, some bricks around the edge of the firebox, would that help?

- what about using a medium-size fire ring? I have a medium size egg, but am not planning on using it this trip. I could take the ring from it. If I place it in the big firebox, it sits just inside the cone. Will that help? Hurt?

Information, ideas, and advice appreciated.

-Larry

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Evening Fellow Egger,

Don't worry about it. You'll have two choices here, get another firering at a dealer, or score yourself three firebricks and stand them on their edge in a triangular fashion and place your cooking grate on top of this.
    The fire ring is just a means to support the cooking grate. It does offer some thermal mass, but it's not detrimental to the Egg to use bricks in place of it.

It's just a Smoker/grill.... albeit the worlds best smoker!

Cheers!
    :)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    you can run over to lowes or home depot and get a grate for a weber grill, use that to set on the fire box, use two fire bricks to hold up the BGE grate and your cooking.
  • Ladlestein
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, SuperDave. I'll pick up some firebrick on the way to the festival.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at your advice. I've lugged my Eggs around for a while now. One year I unbanded the large one before travel. When someone _else_ unloaded it they dropped the upper section and it broken into three or four pieces. It looked pretty bad, but I just sort of fit them together inside the band, just like usual, and they're still that way. I've never noticed a difference in how the Egg performs.

For that matter, the fire ring in question has also been broken into four or five pieces for several years now. I just fit them together in the egg. No apparent difference in performance.

Well I'm off to make pizza. There's a reason all my friends call me "Pizza Larry".

Thanks again!

Pizza Larry
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Well Larry,
    You can always contact the mother ship and get a replacement fire ring for the egg, they've always treated me like gold there, that's why so many people keep coming back for their egg-cessories. Great warranty = return customers!

I'm kinda a pizza nut too.... ever do pizza with egged pulled pork? It's the Bomb!