Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought my first egg!

Options
quicksam
quicksam Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

I bought my first egg today. I have been reading the forum for a long time, and finally decided to pull the trigger today.

I also bought a table with cedar plank top boards. Do any of you leave your table and egg out in the weather?
If so, does it create any problems with the table?

quicksam

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Welcome to the "family". Beware of the crazy uncle that is in every family.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL welcome you are in for a treat!! read up, ask questions and post pics, and we have a few crazy uncles here... not any crazy aunts though :whistle:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Well at least you are realistic using the title "Bought my first egg". I used to say that now I have three. :)
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    If it is in the direct weather, I would cover it with a cover that will cover your table and egg. The weather shouldn't hurt the egg but you may not appreciate the weather look of cedar.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great advice and great cooks (chefs) here.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Welcome to the world of egg owners. My eggs have been sitting outside since the date of purchase with no problem. Wood tables will weather like any wood product does. Treat the wood with a sealer and it will last longer.

Oh by the way, make room for more eggs. You will definitely want to buy more.
  • MississippiCoastEgg
    Options
    Welcome! I am a pretty new egger myself...been about 4 months now. Great people here who are very gracious with great advice. You may get carried away and I say that while sitting at the computer with my Big Green Egg apron on, just turned up the heat on some Car Wash Mike Ribs (see my post below and pics.) Waiting for he finish to take some more pics....

Amazing who shows up on the weekends to see what I am cooking on the egg! :laugh:

I know you will enjoy, let us in on your cooks as you go along, I have never ever had a grill or smoker like the BGE! I have been having a great time cooking and my wife never ever thought she would hear me say that :blink:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Welcome aboard! As for allowing your table to sit out here's perhaps the worse case of how it will turn in time. This table was abandon at a previous egg dealer's shop.
    IMG_1264.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Excellent pic Ron - and that's in good shape!

I built mine out of wood and wanted it to last, so I cover it when not in use.

Past experience has shown me that any exterior products with the least exposure to the weather will stand the test of time the best.

welcome to the cult. Drink freely of the Kool Aid!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Congrats on the new addition. Like you I don't have a lot of experience with the egg but I'm leaving my egg and table out all winter (norther VA) and cook with it. However, I did purchase a table cover.