Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First LIGHT UP!

Options
EggheadOwl
EggheadOwl Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, despite some issues with the nest, I was able to fill 'er up and light the fire in our new medium BGE tonight! We didn't have time to cook anything fancy, but the burgers we cooked were great - and you could bite into one and look at it and the thing was so evenly cooked from one end to the other - top to bottom. I thought people were overreacting about the even cooking, but I was like " whoa." :woohoo:

Of course, I didn't "do it right" since it was my first time. I didn't let the charcoal get going enough before shutting the lid, then I kept opening it up and closing it, causing the temps to go up and down and up and down! :) Breaking old gas grilling habits is going to be tough!

Anyway, as promised here's the pics....and you know what....it's a strange thing because I've only had it a day, but is it just me or does my head look a little like a small BGE!? :woohoo: :whistle:

The new egg...
3853898593_c9557c1ffa.jpg

Ready to light...
3853902329_b91fca2fb3.jpg

Burpin' the baby
3853912941_698c4d7562.jpg

3853909593_698467617f.jpg

MMMMmmmm, burgers...
3853916337_c0e88a4d7c.jpg

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    The first time is always the best. I just lite the lump and close the lid, as long as the top is fully open and the bottom vent is open your set
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Nice first cook - You'll keep looking for a while then you'll figure out it's okay to let'r cook away :)

Good luck!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    YoU got it!!! ;) HAPPY FLAMES!!! :)
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    I look a little stranger than normal in that "burp" pic. I think a bird caught my attention as it was trying to get into the garage( crazy birds ) and my wife was snappin' the photo of me, so this is what I get, I guess.

I look slightly less :silly: on most days! B)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Nice first cook!!! Is that a GA Bulldogs thing in your back window??? :blink: :S :pinch: Nice knowing you!! Go Gators!!!! :woohoo: :silly: :laugh:
    Just kidding with you.... It's all good here.... ;) Enjoy your new Egg!!! You are going to love it!!! :) Let us know when you dedide on your next addition. ;)
    In the meantime...GO GATORS!!!! :woohoo: :whistle: :evil:
    And honestly....Welcome!! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: Looks like ur havin to me,That's all that counts!!! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations. I like the new style eggmates.

The burgers look great, from the pictures that is one heck of a bed of lump you have burning in the egg.

One note, the nest looks off a bit. If that is not an illusion from the picture, when you get time you might want to remove the egg, loosen the bolts, align and then re-tighten. You sure don't want anything to happen to that egg.

Again, congratulations and you can be proud of those burgers. Cuz they sure look fantastic from this side.

GG
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Gotta luv your enthusiasm! :woohoo:

Congrats!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You always remember your first time. You're hooked. You may have your next few cooks planned already but don't put chicken to far down the list - it will be the best chicken you have ever cooked (until you make the next one of course). A good thermometer is a must (165 in the breast and 185 in the thigh) but if you don't have one try it indirect at 400 for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Your bride is officially authorized by the Egghead nation to slap you up side the head if you reach for the handle in the middle of a cook. :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You're going to have soo much fun!! Welcome!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Yup! You've been Egged! I can't wait to see your face when you do Ribs! :woohoo: Welcome to the family!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Great Job. Welcome to your newest hobby.
    Hey dont worry about Little Chef. She's a little confused. :P There are plenty of us Georgia Bulldog fans round here.
    In regards to shutting your dome to early, I dont think there is really a rule of thumb on that. Doesnt hurt anything to shut it as long as draft door is open and daisy is wide open or off. You just need to wait a bit before you cook.

Congratulations!
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry....was there someone here who isn't a BULLDAWG fan? Say it ain't so!? :)

You know, I was thinking about making my third meal on the big green egg some roasted peppers, onions and gator tail. :)

( We did use it again tonight for some chicken! Again, it was a little over-cooked, but it wasn't the BGE's fault for sure. Our thermometer booklet said Chicken was 185 degrees - BGE's booklet says 165. Should'a pulled it off the grill at 165! But, the chicken breasts were soaked overnight in teriyaki sauce, so they weren't as dry as we thought they might be! I've cooked far worse, I promise ya!

Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement!

Now, where did I put those gator tails........ :laugh:
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Congrats and nice work on the photos too. The last shot is a awsome, but the one where you caught the glow from inside the Egg is wicked too. Now I'm going to have to setup the tripod and do a couple longer exposure pics at night on the Egg. I really like that effect.
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Thanks bitslammer. I wasn't as impressed as we were really trying more to work with the egg than take photos! :laugh: We used to have a little failure of a photo business last year. :) haha....with the economy supposedly failing, people just weren't buying what we were selling! :)

What was that, you ask? ( not that you did, but...)

Why, something like this, of course:

2650186188_dd68f675d0.jpg

2623746930_561d8d161b.jpg

And a few like this:

2759071197_b274213021.jpg

2741862093_1fbb74f6cc.jpg

2677261066_0749e6b945.jpg

btw - these weren't just models, they were the owners of that GSXR and Ducati! I was in LOVE with that Duc. ;)
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    NICE! Wish my wife was a rider.

I'm a bit of a hobbyist and just started switching over to Flickr.

Here's the Egg stuff I have moved over there so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/norrisc/sets/72157621971731237/