Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Question

Options
EgginRN
EgginRN Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finished some wings, brought the heat back to 500 degrees and put a pizza stone that I had on top of porc. grill. It caught on fire and blackended (great for snapper now) Changed to plate setter and all seem to be well now. Any thoughts on burning of stone, old grease and seasoning from oven pizza cooks? :(

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Well, ceramic doesn't burn. ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well, after every cook on a stone, you do clean it with just water right?
  • EgginRN
    Options
    Its a pampered chef one, Water only for cleans.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Watch you stone. From a number of previous posts the Pampered Chef stones are reported to break in the Egg.

As to the fire: it sounds like your grill had a bunch of grease from your chicken cook. By putting the stone on top of your grill you trapped enough heat to set it ablaze.
  • EgginRN
    Options
    MBR, thanks for the advice. There are so many post an a lot of answers, thank you! :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If I were me, which I am :laugh: , I would cover my pizza stone with foil if I were going to use it for a heat deflector. I would never allow my stone to get covered with grease since I would want to use the stone for bread and pizza. Part of the magic of baking on a ceramic stone is the fact that it is porous and can absorb some of the moisture from the dough when you first place the dough on the stone. Makes for a better crust.

And do watch out for flying ceramic with a PC stone. They have been known to shatter in the Egg if the temp is hot enough. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I use my pizza stone as a heat deflector all the time and never have any issues with it. It does get pretty nasty looking from grease BUT when I use the pizza stone I preheat the egg at 650-700 for at least an hour. I use this "preheat" as a cleaning cycle for the egg and the stone is very clean before I put the first pizza on.

One of the side benefits of cooking pizza is that it cleans up the egg nice with a full bore 1 hour get it as hot as you can preheat!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I've never let my stone get "greased" so I wonder how porous the stone is after getting grease on it and then getting the high heat. I'd be afraid that the grease is turning into the seasoning that forms on cast iron. But certainly if the OP wants to avoid flaming stones, he could cover his with foil.
    The Naked Whiz